General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a chopper ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005 | 02:30 PM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Default RE: How does a chopper ride?

Having owned both the practical and the 'less than' practical; I can tell you I was only happy owning the 'less than' practical when I had one of each.

My $.02? If you can't afford one of each; go with a nice used Road King with some options and finish it out your way and then build a custom while your ridin' the R/K...better yet, buy a Heritage Classic!

Old 01-06-2010 | 02:12 AM
Hisspirit
1st Gear
Default Re Chopper Ride

This is really all I can tell. I have a 2005 Road King custom I rode double with my wife for a long time. These bike are very practicle for going many miles in relatively good comfort. You get her the double up seat and a sisy bar with the rack in the back for a t bag. You will have sooo much fun togther. Now when she aint riding with youtake off the wind shield put on your solo seat and get in the wind. Whe my friend trs to ride his gir on a chopper she is going to hsve monkey butt all day lonng. dont even think of the chopper

Old 01-06-2010 | 02:54 AM
CroK
Banned

Hisspirit...

You've just answered a thread from four years ago. I think he's probably already got the bike he chose to go with, and either lovin the new RK, or wishin he had gotten one by now. Just sayin

Last edited by CroK; 01-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2010 | 03:29 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Four months ago??? How about four YEARS ago?

Originally Posted by CroK
Hisspirit...

You've just answered a thread from four months ago. I think he's probably already got the bike he chose to go with, and either lovin the new RK, or wishin he had gotten one by now. Just sayin

Old 01-06-2010 | 06:11 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by CroK
Hisspirit...

You've just answered a thread from four months ago. I think he's probably already got the bike he chose to go with, and either lovin the new RK, or wishin he had gotten one by now. Just sayin

Uhhh, TOO MUTCH time on that ol' hardtail, CroK ????
IT dunn 'scrambled' the egg a bit. As posted, 4 YEARS, Buds.

But, JUS' in case he is STILL chekkin' this thread, Ol' 'n Wise, Young 'n Dummm, Ol' School, New School.

Old 01-06-2010 | 06:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Compared to what we used to ride back in the 60's,these new machines are luxury.Full suspensions,correct steering geometry,good brakes,big motors,the list goes on.The difference is we built our own machines at almost no expense,and because we had no choice.Have fun

Old 01-06-2010 | 08:28 AM
CroK
Banned

LMAO!!! What can I say? I never was any good at math...

Got stuck on one number, obviously!

(Besides, now that I've learned how to edit my posts, everyone from this point on will wonder what the hell you guys are talkin about!)

Last edited by CroK; 01-06-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2010 | 09:00 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ScooterGuitar
Ok, I have asked this question various times, many places!
I am seriously considering a softail chopper! Not HD (sorry this is off topic, but figured this forum the best to answer) most likely a Big Dog.
My thinking is, get it while I am fairly young! If I knew they rode as good as a regular softail, great! I have asked several dealers and of course they say great, can't test drive until the loan is signed (as some HD dealers I have been to).
I am 6'1", do frequent 2-up riding, she is 5'5" small build. We do not tour, but do easily put on 100-300 miles most weekends, going from small rural towns to another, along with larger cities.
We would be coming off of a XL1200, so about naything would be a little more comfortable.
Dealers tell me, "Same as a softail, with more leg room. Wider turns of course."
I have not ruled out other smaller custom makers like BMC, Inronhorse, Titan, etc. Just looking for a basic raked out softail chopper!
Anything to compare it to?
So if anyone has ridden, owns, or knows of someone who has, any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks so much,
S
I owned a chopper for 5 years, more precisely a 2004 AIH Texas Chopper.
What can I say about it? I lost my shirt, that's what I'll remember most about it. Bought it new, sold it in June 2009 and lost 1/2 of what I put in it and it was a bug chunk of money.
Ride wise, it was OK. Comfy enough, lots of power, but forget about putting 200 miles per ride on it. Much less with a passenger behind you.
Looks wise, you can't beat them. They're lookers.

I have no experience riding one with a passenger and this was not the reason why I bought one. Mine was strictly a solo bar hopper cause I have another bike for Touring and duo-riding. It had no passenger pegs, no bitch pad.

I sold it cause I ended up not using it as much as planned. 90% of the time, I rode the bagger with my GF behind me.

My advise to you? Test ride one before you buy and if you still want one, buy a used one. There are tons of them on the market and you can have one for a fraction of what you'll pay for a new.

Old 01-06-2010 | 09:31 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

well my sporty is one by technicality, the frame has had its neck choped and raked, the forks where streched to either 4" over or 6" over havent verified that, the sheet metal is now been chopped up and modeled into what I like, usless items like Tach, speedo, turn signals etc have been conviently removed for areo dynamic reasons. i ride 2 up when i coem back from either parties or trips to the bar and find it is no problem. granted mine isnt a $30K + OCC or WCC mile long chopper since its a collaberation of work done by me my friends and the PO, its still techniclly a chopper LOL

Old 01-06-2010 | 12:05 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

I know a guy who has a big dog, he mainly rides it to local bike nights. I don't think its the kind you'd want to spend multiple hours riding on.

Quick Reply: How does a chopper ride?