General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a chopper ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005 | 02:24 PM
Screamer
Road Captain
Default RE: How does a chopper ride?

Any new Harley I am looking at with a few add-ons is also about $30K.

Old 09-14-2005 | 02:53 PM
dragsta
Banned

I got my 04, Superglide for $11,995. It's a perfect balance between price, power, comfort, efficiency, style and handling. Two up is no problem. Forget about the chopper.

Old 09-14-2005 | 02:54 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

30K?!?! What in the heck are you looking at and at what STEALERship? I bought a Road King custom with a few minor uprades and it was only about 22,500! Remember this, you dont have to do ALL the upgrades or mods right away. Hell that takes some of the fun out of it. Adding things as you go is part of it.

Old 09-14-2005 | 03:49 PM
Screamer
Road Captain

2006 FatBoy Screaming Eagle. MSRP $30K. Without adding a thing to it.

Old 09-14-2005 | 03:55 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

a guy i work with just bought a big dog....its a rigid though. he has the big suction cup seat for his wife....this weekend we are riding down to key west for the poker run, they are supposed to be going with us. he just told me this morning that he is riding the bike and she is following in their car cause she isnt riding down there on the back of the big dog. its only 180 miles, with stops every 40-50 miles for a card pull. not too convincing on the comfort thing. when he bought it i asked him how the ride was. he told me that it wasnt bad. after his first month with the bike he was already talking about buying another bike for long rides...take it for what its worth

Old 09-14-2005 | 04:28 PM
scratch
Advanced

Lemme get this straight: You're trying to decide between a Road King and a Big Dog?! Man, that's apples and oranges. If you want to tour with your wife, get the Road King. She'll appreciate that and you know that's in your best interest If you want to go 5-10 miles solo to the bar to impress your friends, get the Big Dog. Or you could do like my neighbor who has one. Step one: fork over your $30K. Step two: rev it up in your driveway for a few hours on Sundays, if it's a nice day. Step three: complain that it wasn't worth the money.

Old 09-14-2005 | 06:54 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: scratch

Or you could do like my neighbor who has one. Step one: fork over your $30K. Step two: rev it up in your driveway for a few hours on Sundays, if it's a nice day. Step three: complain that it wasn't worth the money.

NOW THATS FUNNY....AND MOST LIKELY TRUE

Old 09-14-2005 | 11:48 PM
ScooterGuitar
|
Tourer

Wow, lots of comments!
Once again, I AM NOT TOURING, but I do ride an average of 200-400 miles on weekend with my girl, so it has to be functional that way! No, not to the bar to look cool, simple country road cruising, rallies, etc.
I am not into speed, but love havign the power of a bored out or larger engine.
Also, I do not have the money, I am a poor school teacher that would simply rather have an ideal bike than a great car! And I knwo I am gonan go far in debt on one so it better be the right one!

When I was a toddler, my brothers chopped and built real choppers, forks a mile long, and since I have always wanted one! No, they can;t and don;t do anythign with bikes AT ALL for many, many years. I am gonna get some pics scanned soon enough.

In 1990 I had an old ironhead (not raked or stretched), always broke down (I am not mechanical, no matter how hard I try). Sold it after a dear friend lost his life on his bike. This past year I decided it was time to get on one again, and now that I am in the mindset for a new killer ride, I have to consider a chopper.

If it was just me riding, my choice would be easy, a softail chopper, or whatever you guys want to rename them. But I have to consider my lady as well.
Yes, my decision has come down to that or a RK> Of all the HD's I have ridden, the RK fitted me best so that decsion is in place.

Now my personal ideologies are:
RK loaded up with what I would want, even if I coudl find a tricked out used one, would run me a minimum of 25K, paint alone is gonna be around 4k. Add pipes, chrome, engine work, etc...
A used Chopper, already with killer paint, great components, etc I have priced them from 17-23K from new to a few years old with low miles.
Yes, I would love a HD chopper, but just not gonna happen, I can't do most fo the work, and I can;t shell out 40K for a decent newer one.
I figure if I get a RK, I will always yearn for a Chopper, if I get a Chopper, I know maybe 3-6 years down the road I will have that urge outta me and I can get the comfy RK, or have both!
Biggest concern is how comfy it is opposed to a regular HD for the passenger, once again she is 5'5" around 125pds. The few peopel outside thsi forum tell me its longer so you'll both have room to stretch, and she sees them and says it looks liek there is no room for her! I tell her its cause the fedner is chopped and shorter, it is a visual illusion!
Thanks for any and all comments, please keep them coing, good or bad.

Old 09-15-2005 | 10:44 AM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain

There are some good deals on ebay for the custom Harley choppers. You should check it out.

Old 09-15-2005 | 12:50 PM
scratch
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ScooterGuitar

Wow, lots of comments!
Once again, I AM NOT TOURING, but I do ride an average of 200-400 miles on weekend with my girl, so it has to be functional that way!
Sccoter, that sounds like touring to me! Maybe you're not going to Tierra del Fuego or doing an Iron Butt, but if I were you I'd go with the RK.

Quick Reply: How does a chopper ride?