General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is motorcycling getting safer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015 | 07:54 AM
JimmyDee
Road Master

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
And the fines/jail are still worse for DUI.
You are correct, driving and texting fines amount to little more than a slap on the wrist. Cell phone companies have many high paid lobbyist, so we know who the political loons are going to cater to.

Old 08-12-2015 | 08:07 AM
Ray on the drums
Stellar HDF Member

They really should allow us to take pop shots at people texting and driving.!

They're endangering everyone's life around them like a gunman in a burger joint!

Last edited by Ray on the drums; 08-12-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2015 | 08:23 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain

Originally Posted by will2002
This is what I've been thinkin' for a while!
Yep, most people are shocked, when they see the actual low numbers of DUI related collisions, compared to the other causes. But, that's what brings in the money, the war on DWI.

The number of motorcycle fatalities are way up, compared to the same period this time last year in my state. And it's the same as every other year, we're killing ourselves. We are at fault in the majority of all fatal collisions.

Old 08-12-2015 | 08:32 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

We always like to blame the Cagers as the fault, but roughly half of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents.

Old 08-12-2015 | 09:38 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ray on the drums
So how well do you guys think them deer whistles work?

I have a couple chrome plated plastic ones that came on the bike.
If they work, even sometimes I'll leave'em, if not they need to go.
Had them on one of my cars years ago. In my experience, they're worse than useless.

Old 08-12-2015 | 10:16 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I used to work with a guy who hit deer all the time. He had those whistles on his car, and we used to joke that he installed them backwards.

Old 08-12-2015 | 11:13 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Johnnyh14
Motorcycle riding getting better? Try riding in NY and CT, the cagers are out to kill you. Prob no different from most states. No respect for bikes what so ever. I had a foreign convertible driver think he could make a left turn from a side street to the road I was on but no one let him in and with his top down blocked me from moving forward. I think his bitch wife fainted when I parked my bike and got off. They will remember me forever.
I am in NJ and I do think that our area is pretty bad compared to others. I ride mostly from Monmouth county on south and into PA. I had gone up to the Indian dealership in Union and it was like a switch. Once you hit the Driscoll Bridge on the GSP the cagers are animals. That just bleeds into NY.

Old 08-12-2015 | 11:20 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mdm
Whenever motorcycle safety comes up "the other guy" always gets thrown into the conversation. There's no denying that car and truck drivers are a big safety issue for us.

However, over the years several things have remained constant:
Close to half of motorcycle crashes are single vehicle crashes meaning that the motorcyclist did it to himself.
A very high percentage of motorcycle crashes involves a rider that is riding drunk.
A very high percentage of motorcycle crashes involves high speeds.
A higher percentage of motorcycle riders are riding with high BAC than the percent of car/truck drivers with a high BAC.

What does all this say? We are our own worst enemy. Just think how the crash/fatality numbers would take a nose dive if the motorcycle community cleaned up its own act.
This is a point that is normally looked over in these conversations. It's mostly the cruiser community which equates to mostly Harley riders (since Harley sells more bikes then all the other companies put together). I drive by countless bars where there are tons of bikes. I'm sure all are not drinking but a lot are. It's 2015, haven't we wised up yet? However I think with the smart phones we are in a riskier world. We can make it safer on our own just by our own housekeeping. We can't control the texters or deer.