General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is motorcycling getting safer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015 | 12:16 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer

Originally Posted by enginesludge
I found the MC brakes are a lot better after a long time out of the saddle. But; the real risk always was and remains the 4 wheel passenger vehicles. And that seems much worse and getting worser (is that right) all the time.

IMHO, No1 is not distracted drivers it is crushing volume of traffic. I dont know the stats but if we are lucky we got 10% more roads and 1000% more cars - say last 40 years. Some are distracted for sure. I do see a lot less after hours DWI n the cars). That DWI sat night was almost like playing pacman. But the sheer volume and number of distractions are way up and my reaction time is down. I bet, just a WAG, that bikers under the influence driving is also down. That used to be a life style for some.

Around here gravel roads all but gone and forgotten, which is also good. Nice smooth RR crossings. Remember those!

Yes I do remember enginesludge . There are a lot more people and cars than 30-40 years ago . Around here you would get heavy traffic at "rush hour " , now it's " rush 24 hour/seven days a week" . There has been a culture change regarding drinking . When I was young a lot of people would not drive Friday or Saturday night because of all the DWI and it was just accepted as "the way it is ". Road conditions were sketchy and RR crossings were a major concern . .I guess every generation of riders has challenges .

Last edited by TheBig-O; 01-08-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2015 | 01:22 PM
HelmetHead
Banned

Safer....no way do the NSTSA statistics bear that out. Less helmet laws, riding and alcohol use hasn't changed much, bikes (Harley at least) are little improved over the decades. Sturgis 2015 fatality count speaks volumes.

Old 08-10-2015 | 03:47 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
I have noticed it's getting more dangerous the last couple of years and mostly because people talking on cell phones and texting.
Heard on a news channel just last night that accidents related to driving and texting now surpasses accidents caused by DWI.

Old 08-10-2015 | 05:01 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
Heard on a news channel just last night that accidents related to driving and texting now surpasses accidents caused by DWI.
This is what I've been thinkin' for a while!

Old 08-10-2015 | 05:14 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

I got back in 5 years ago after being away from it for 30+ years.

Between the increased traffic volume, texters, and the general "me-first, screw-you" attitude of 95% of the populace, riding is definitely not safer than it was during my first go-round.

Old 08-10-2015 | 08:02 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not safer. More idiots on the road & that's both car drivers & motorcycle riders.

Old 08-10-2015 | 08:57 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
And the fines/jail are still worse for DUI.

Old 08-10-2015 | 09:04 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
It's not safer. More idiots on the road & that's both car drivers & motorcycle riders.

Old 08-10-2015 | 10:41 PM
Zack1
Cruiser

I have been riding on road for a year now. Took a riding class took my test on a Yamaha 250. Bought a wide glide for its stability, power, and price. I don't wear a helmet neither does my wife. We don't drink and ride. We don't wear leather with armor in it. Or leather at all unless it's cold. Most of our time spent riding is with at least one moor bike or 2. Usually a older cupple that has been riding longer. I consider myself a safe rider but not the safest

I will say this, there are times I leave the house and within the first 5 miles I have a heard of deer jump in front of me. 2 cars pull out in front of me and see people swerving cause they are distracted by either cell phones other drivers or whatever else. I just wana turn around and go home cause I won't be able to enjoy the rest of the ride cause I will be paranoid

Old 08-11-2015 | 08:59 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Riding is safer because drunk driving is far less common than it used to be, at least here in California.

Cellphones and texting have probably counteracted this trend but only somewhat. There used to be a lot more drunks 20 years ago than there are texters now.

My $.02.

Quick Reply: Is motorcycling getting safer?