General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is motorcycling getting safer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015 | 02:20 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oct1949
Well at least the numbers say its better..

Must be why My Insurance went up $100. this past yr..~~~~
I'm paying $9.00 a month to insure my 2009 XL883L with high levels of coverage and low deductables through Progressive via Harley-Davidson. I am a 71 year old male and have been riding for three years. Took the MSF Basic Riding Course and have an 800+ credit score, a clean driving/riding record - No DUI's, accidents, or traffic violations ever. You don't get to be my age doing foolish things or taking unneccessary chances. Therefore I am ATGATT and always wear a full face modular high end helmet.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 01-07-2015 | 02:59 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by enodrano
I think there are several reasons contributing to it:

The increase of rider courses to get a license instead of only a road test.
More riders due to folks looking for cheaper travel alternatives in a bad economy.
High gas prices reduce the number of cars on the road.
Just plain luck.
OR

It's a direct result of more motorcycle trailers.
Bikes are being towed not rode.

Old 01-07-2015 | 03:07 PM
Grouser62
Road Master

I'm not sure if it's getting safer but would like the deer hunters to up their game a bit because there seems to be more deer in more places every year.

Old 01-07-2015 | 03:46 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior

Motorcycle riding getting better? Try riding in NY and CT, the cagers are out to kill you. Prob no different from most states. No respect for bikes what so ever. I had a foreign convertible driver think he could make a left turn from a side street to the road I was on but no one let him in and with his top down blocked me from moving forward. I think his bitch wife fainted when I parked my bike and got off. They will remember me forever.

Old 01-07-2015 | 04:42 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Personally and I am speaking about my experiences around here where I live. I feel it was much safer before all these idiots started texting/ talking on their cell phones while they are driving.

Old 01-07-2015 | 06:16 PM
usmcbuck
Tourer

That's a good question, with a lot of states now requiring motorcycle safety course, I believe that helps. The cell phone/texting stuff is just way out of hand and that doesn't help us at all. I do seem to notice riders wearing helmets more these days than in the past. It really always boils down to you yourself and your awareness at all times...

Old 01-07-2015 | 06:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Not out here it isn't .............

Old 01-07-2015 | 06:27 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Saying motorcycling is getting safer is like saying I'm getting younger, better looking and richer. It ain't happenin'. Ride like everyone and everything on the road is out to run over you or take you out. It's more dangerous than ever.

Old 01-07-2015 | 06:41 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

The MSF may have something to do with it in the last couple of years.

Looking farther back than that:

Bikes themselves are much safer and more dependable. In the 60s and 70s you didn't have much braking at all. And, nothing like linked braking, ABS, or even disc brakes.

The highways themselves are not any safer than past decades. The traffic volume has increased substantially. More, cars, more bikes, more opportunities for them to meet...

The enforcement of DUI laws has surely had a substantial impact. Back in 60s or 70s it just wasn't enforced and if caught, did not have the consequences it has now. Simply put, fewer drunks on bikes means fewer stupid bad accidents.

For those that wear it, protective equipment has progressed a light year. ATGATT. Armor on all joints, chest and back, not just your head.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-07-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2015 | 06:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
The MSF may have something to do with it.

Bikes themselves are much safer and more dependable. In the 60s and 70s you didn't have much braking at all. And, nothing like linked braking, ABS, or even disc brakes.

The highways themselves are not any safer than past decades. The traffic volume has increased substantially. More, cars, more bikes, more opportunities for them to meet...

The enforcement of DUI laws has surely had a substantial impact. Back in 60s or 70s it just wasn't enforced and if caught, did not have the consequences it has now. Simply put, fewer drunks on bikes means fewer stupid bad accidents.

For those that wear it, protective equipment has progressed a light year. ATGATT. Armor on all joints, chest and back, not just your head.
Seen far more mayhem and bloodshed with inept unskilled riders on bikes too big for them than I have were was booze involved.

Quick Reply: Is motorcycling getting safer?