General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:51 AM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default What pipes?

Okay here is the deal. When I bought my Fat Boy a few weeks ago. I listened to it with stock mufflers and the SE slip ons. Thought the SE slip ons sounded great! Well the weather has been great in Denver the last couple days. I rode over 300 miles. But I think almost every Harley that I listened to was louder and deeper than mine. Mine sounds like a car muffler with holes in it. I want to get it done right this time and not blow money on more slip ons that will dissapoint me. Are the Rush ones really that much better? I want to take it back to the dealership and make it sound great. What should I have them do? Which pipes(Rheinhardt)? Stage 1? What do you think the cost will be? I know this topic has been probably brought up a lot. Just want to have the sound and want to do it now!!

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:00 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: What pipes?

The Rhein, and Bubs will be a deeper note. V&H are higher, but louder. I like the sound of my Big Radius.

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:03 PM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Those are not just slip ons right?

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:03 PM
bcox
Road Master

Love my pythons and Stage 1.......Loud.

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:38 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

If you want just slip ons..you will find most everyone here that has RUSH pipes are happy with them, including myself. I went with Stage 1 D/L...SE Air cleaner and the RUSH pipes.
If you want a full set,,,choices,,so many choices. V&H sound & look good. But if you can, go to a "Bike Night" or rally in your area,,talk to riders that have different pipes, ask them if you can hear them etc. Most will be happy to talk to you about their scoots.
You have the 07 with the O2 sensors. You might want to look at the Auto Tune Thundermax vs the PCIII,,,some issues with the 07's and Power Commanders.

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:42 PM
anubisss
Banned

Go for a full system. It will increase your power as well most likely. The only difference is that you replace the headers as well. It is all one piece. I have vance and hines and they are quite loud.

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:47 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

When I had my Springer, I went with V&H Big Shot longs. Replaced the whole system, SERT, a/c, etc. Loved the sound. More expensive, but the bike will run better and louder. As someone said, check out a gathering place. People will usually be happy to let you hear.

Old 04-16-2007 | 12:56 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

A lot depends on what kind of look your going for.

There are plenty of catalogs that offer many different styles of exhausts. A lot of the catalogs will have Fatboys with different kinds of pipes so you can see what they'll look like on your bike.

Also, you can spend some time surfing through the Fatboy picture thread here and pick a style that you like and can afford.

Exhaust prices vary widly. I'd suggest you get something with a heat shield but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with your decision! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-16-2007 | 01:33 PM
E DOGG
Road Master

IDID THAT![:@]I got 3 pairs of slip-ons sitting in my garage. Save your money and get a AWESOME exhaust system. Than you can contemplate on something else to put on your RIDE !!!!

Old 04-16-2007 | 02:16 PM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

At first I liked the pipes that disom007 had but they seem a little short.Then I was liking xtrooper3936 with the slight curve. But it seems most of the Fatty's have more of the straight look. So if I go with new pipes I pretty much have to go with stage 1 anyway right? If anyone could, can you just post your pics of your pipes and tell me the brand and what it cost you with stage 1 or not to put them on? Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: What pipes?