General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 03:22 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: What pipes?

Randall, as others have mentioned in this thread and the last one, Rinehart by Bub are great pipes. Bub also makes a set of pipes called Bub Jug Huggers, the same principle as their Rineharts, to give you max horsepower, but at a slightly cheaper price. I prefer the Jug Huggers, I've had them on 2 bikes, just fantastic pipes.

Slip-ons will not give you the look you want (slip-ons only look good on touring bikes, imho) you need a full system. Bub Jug Huggers and Bub Rineharts are very high quality, they haveloud & deep sound even with the baffles (the sound will definitely put a smile on your face)and they are on probably more Harleys than any other pipe. I posted a couple of links below.

Homepage http://bub.com/

Product Page for Softails http://bub.com/Motorcycles/Harley/Softail/Softail.html

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:49 PM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Sam. I also like the Vance & Hines Big Shots. Now Do I need to do a whole stage 1 or can they just be put on. How much do these run for installation? And with a stage 1? I saw the pipes online for less than $500.

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:21 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

If you want the sound and good power but don't want to spend a lot of $. Take a look at Cycle Shack, they've been around for years.
I have a set of slip-ons on my Superglide and they sound great. Most dealers & independents can get them or order on-line.

http://www.cycle-shack.com/

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:42 PM
jdgarant
Advanced

I have Rush Slip-ons with 2.5" baffles. Sounds like a dragster almost. They offer 1.75", 2", 2.25" and 2.5" baffles.

Their website also has video you can watch and listed to the difference of each size. Not sure of the URL, search for RUSH Slip Ons or something.

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:47 PM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmm Have to find out about the rush slip ons maybe. Well I just talked to the dealership. I was going to go with the Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes. They are $685 for the pipes. Now they said I need a race tuner, download, air cleaner. etc. The parts are about $1395. The labor he said about $400. Does $1800 sound right??? Big money. Don't want to be dissapointed with more slip ons. Hope to get more input! Thanks everyone.

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:49 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

The slip on's, with reasonable baffles just aren't as good as whole pipes. My bro had SE slip ons and had some complaint as you. He went to V&H slip ons - louder and lower but still not as loud as pipes. The V&H full pipes (I like the BSS and the Big Radius) are loud and deep but quiet at speed. The Python is made by V&H, cheaper but no removeable baffle. Friends have said that the V&H BSS and my buddies same style Pythons, are the perfect exhaust sound. The Bub (ride my buddies EG with them) are louder still (awesome on takeoff in fact) but they stay noisey at speed. That means 100 miles into a trip, you hate them. They also are harder to quiet down when easily going thru a small town. The Reinhardt's also don't have the midrange performance of the V&H (but that could be his EG running lean)...

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:56 PM
drrandall1
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya think the big radius is a good pick then?

Old 04-16-2007 | 05:59 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the Big Shot Staggered. I think you get a little more performance with them than the Radius (slightly longer). The Radius are a little louder and a little more radical looking. The only downside is that on some bikes, like mine (no boards), they can actually be the first thing to scrape in a right turn. However, on the Fatboy, you'll likely scrape the footboards way before you'll catch the Big Radius, so yeah, Radius are awesome, that's how I'd go...

Old 04-16-2007 | 06:03 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

If you are just doing a stage 1 you probably will get better perfomance from a set of slip-ons, becuase you keepthe stock headpipes, or a 2-1 pipe.
Refer to this site to help explain:
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html
Stage 2 or 3 almost any exhuast will work. A good general rule is longer pipes will perform better. But if all you want is loud and look cool then drag pipes are just fine I guess.
I went with V&H straight shot slipons with my Stage 1 and I am not disapointed. Both sound and performance are great.

Old 04-16-2007 | 06:11 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member

DON'T BUY FROM YOUR DEALER!!@#@#!@!@

You can get great deals on pipes from lots of places at probably half what your dealer will sell them for.
Installation is as easy as changing a tire on a car.

Quick Reply: What pipes?