General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Rider acts - stupid - comes within 2 feet of losing his life....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Rider acts - stupid - comes within 2 feet of losing his life....

I am posting this just as a reminder for all of us to be safe out there.

Today, we had a poker run for charity and all went extremely well. We all ended up at the last stop, ate, listened to a good band and started to make our way home while it was still light out. I'm leading the group and we pull out of the last stop and make a left onto a 4 lane highway. We stay in the center lane since in only 2 miles we will be turning left. There is hardly any traffic and a few members scoot over to the right lane. No biggie. Like I said no traffic..... All of a sudden I get passed by a guy on a Wide Glide doing well over 80 MPH. (Speed limit is 45 and we were moving at 50...staggered formation except for the few in the right lane...) This guy weaves in and out of the group to pass (mind you when at 80 not much moving....) he blows past me in the left lane and cuts over to the right lane....(there is a SUV in the right lane 300 feet in front of me - I'm in the left lane....) sees the SUV too late hits his rear brake - bike goes down (lowside) he is riding it out and is going so fast he slams into the back of the SUV that is doing 50MPH - he breaks the rear taillight of the SUV and bends the exhaust and crushes the muffler - then goes off of the road into a ditch - bike is totalled. Him - badly bruised - jeans shredded - he's got massive road rash - I think an old rubber tire and the grass saved his a$$ when he went into the ditch. Our group pulled over right away, called 911 and directed traffic away from the scene.

Guy had no lid, no jacket, no chaps - nothing.

He has a family and was not drunk. He wasn't even on the poker run. He just took the bike out since it was sittting in the garage and said he was messing aroundlike in his younger years.....(he admitted to speeding to the officer that pulled up.)

Oh and I almost forgot - he slammed into the ditch/embankment at 40~50 MPH - he missed the tree by 2 feet...........

The SUV had a family and 2 small kids in it. The kids are freaking over the accident. The SUV is pulled over with us on the side of the road.

We got his bike up and out of the ditch - medics checked this guy out and he is o.k.

Now here's the strange thing - another older Harley rider - not even in our group stopps in front of the SUV and gives the driver this very strange look - implying that the driver of the SUV caused this guy to go down - what's up with that?

Just be careful out there. There is one rider tonight that has to be kissing the ground and thankful that he is still here.

Sorry for the length..............

Nick

Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Stelis
Cruiser
Default RE: Harley Rider acts - stupid - comes within 2 feet of losing his life....

He might have been trying to show off to you guys how much more manly he is of a rider.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 AM
LimeNine9r
Tourer
Default RE: Harley Rider acts - stupid - comes within 2 feet of losing his life....

Indiana? Weather sure wasn't cooperating unless the weather in your Indiana is different from the weather we got in Ohio

Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow thanks for the post.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

It's riders like him who give SUVs a bad name.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 AM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EasternSP

It's riders like him who give SUVs a bad name.
Not only SUVs but other cagers as well.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that was me tonight. I was riding home about 11pm. I was doing about 60 on the highway. Then a couple guys (one on a Harley) come flying by me going in and out of traffic!! Betcha one of them winds up like him!!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Pops
Road Captain

That idiot is very lucky, he probably blames the SUV for going to slow.......Pops

Old 04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Things like that have been happening as long as there have been people on this earth and do not see any changes.We all have to take care of ourselves the best way we can.Oh,and still have a good time doing it.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Fact: Bad things happen to people who do stupid things.

Quick Reply: Harley Rider acts - stupid - comes within 2 feet of losing his life....