General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Harley buyer.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Am I to believe then, that there are no 1 or 2 year old ricers, BMWs, Triumphs, etc. With only 500 miles on them, only Harleys? Didn't know that.....
Those are probably track miles from people who wants their lap times to go down.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Welcome from Michigan.
Sad to say for you, looks like you would be looking for trouble if you buy a Harley. Just like any one, if you look hard for trouble you will find it. I've had 5 Harleys since my 2000 12-C Sporty and I have never had any kind of brake down. I could not love a bike more then my trouble free 14 Rushmore King.
From the way you talk, if you want a USA built bike Polaris makes 2, victory and Indian. If you don't care where they are built then you have a lot of well made bikes you could buy.
For my self there is nothing better then riding a Harley...Good luck.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by ConsideringHarley
Hi all. I rode a Honda 600cc sportbike for several years but recently began looking into a more comfortable style of bike. My back couldn't take the riding posture for much longer than a few hours. I had no problems whatsoever with it over the course of 26k miles. It always fired up and I never doubted the integrity of its engineering.

At local dealers and bike meets, I test rode so many cruiser styles bikes from makes like Indian, Victory, and HD. Honestly, all of those bikes are way more comfortable than my previous bike! I want to lean towards HD bc of the nostalgia, styling, sound (of course!) etc. However, in reading many forums and websites, I have begun to have doubts about "modern HD bikes"...

Now it may be true, as a former coworker put it that "Only people with negative experiences post things on forums and the web", but I have read a lot on forums... Honestly, I learned that one shouldn't even look at mainstream reviews such as consumer reports, etc., but rather should look at reviews from average Joes who have nothing to gain from telling their experiences....

My main concerns are the build quality of modern HDs, which I define as circa year 2000+. Some of the stories I read on sites like pissedconsumer.com and even the NHTSA site concerning some of the problems encountered really make me take a step back - especially because some of them could have easily resulted in the rider's death. I am referring to such reports of the rear drive pulley bolts coming out and thus the pulley coming off the hub...

Anyway, I have thought about whether it would be better to buy a new HD or a used one.... My reasoning about a used HD would be that any potential problems may have been discovered by the previous owner(s) and thus hopefully fixed... What are your thoughts on that opinion?

Furthermore, I have noticed from checking out a lot of dealer sites in my area that a lot of 2014 and 2015 bikes are listed as used - and some of them only have 200 to 500 miles on them! Why would someone buy a bike and then get rid of it at such low mileage? Was it because they didn't like the bike or because they discovered that there were major problems?

Please don't take this as me bashing HD... However, I really want to protect myself as the consumer and am doing my due research beforehand.
For one thing, there is a lot of difference between a 600cc Honda sportbike and a cruiser, to me, that is like apples to oranges.

Another thing, who's to say that if you buy a used Harley that the previous owner found all the problems and fixed them before he/she decided to sell it?

Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't agree more with previous reply's.
You have to decide for yourself what your truly looking for and what kind of riding experiences you want to partake in.
A need for back breaking speed always bent over or a well engineered piece of machinery that will last you a life time which you can enjoy riding comfortably.

Any piece of machinery will only you as good as you treat it.
Rag it, neglect it, don't maintain it and it won't perform as though it's designed to and things will break or malfunction.....
Common sense!!!

Grew up building, riding and racing crotch rockets.
For the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't buy a HD in my younger years.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 PM
bugsonmyteeth
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ridden sport bikes and harleys they each have their points but you said you were looking for comfort. In my opinion there is nothing as comfy as a harley touring bike. I have found my harleys to be trouble free with nothing more than regular maintenence. If you can afford it keep your sport bike and buy a harley for comfort.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 AM
gravelmanv11
Intermediate

My first bike was a 1100 Shadow 5 years 0 problems, my second was a 1800 VTX, 4 years 0 problems my third was a ultra classic I bought from a guy who stored it for 2 years still 4 years 0 problems and I have a new one on the way, I'm a Harley guy all the way now. Lots of quality built bikes today ride what you love.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:50 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Well, after 25 responses and 3 days with nothing from the OP, I'm calling it another troll.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,910 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide1
Grew up building, riding and racing crotch rockets. For the life of me I can't figure out why I didn't buy a HD in my younger years.

I know why I never bought a HD in younger years.

As a youngster in the early to mid 80s (ages 14-18), when I first got into motorcycling, HD was making crappy bikes and was about to go the way of Triumph (out of business). All of the latest and greatest bikes were coming out of Japan. I would not have owned a HD if someone gave me one. I knew older guys who had them and even they would curse them. While I was riding, they were often making repairs.

I had nothing but negative views towards HDs. However, I noticed HD started working on QC, the Evo came out followed later by the Twin Cam. Still never cared for them.

However, after two Demo Day events in May 2014, I came away impressed with the 1200 Custom, 48, and LR. Well built bikes. Way more comfortable than what I have been riding for the last nearly 25 years.

My 10th motorcycle will be a Low Rider in the Spring 2015.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 PM
NooneOfConsequence
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

So you (presumably) had a CBR600RR and never suffered a regulator/rectifier failure? After all, the forums are FULL of people complaining about that on the Honda's.
Seriously though, you can search any brand from anywhere and find quality complaints.

Get what speaks to you.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:51 PM
haulin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ConsideringHarley
Hi all. I rode a Honda 600cc sportbike for several years but recently began looking into a more comfortable style of bike. My back couldn't take the riding posture for much longer than a few hours. I had no problems whatsoever with it over the course of 26k miles. It always fired up and I never doubted the integrity of its engineering.

At local dealers and bike meets, I test rode so many cruiser styles bikes from makes like Indian, Victory, and HD. Honestly, all of those bikes are way more comfortable than my previous bike! I want to lean towards HD bc of the nostalgia, styling, sound (of course!) etc. However, in reading many forums and websites, I have begun to have doubts about "modern HD bikes"...

Now it may be true, as a former coworker put it that "Only people with negative experiences post things on forums and the web", but I have read a lot on forums... Honestly, I learned that one shouldn't even look at mainstream reviews such as consumer reports, etc., but rather should look at reviews from average Joes who have nothing to gain from telling their experiences....

My main concerns are the build quality of modern HDs, which I define as circa year 2000+. Some of the stories I read on sites like pissedconsumer.com and even the NHTSA site concerning some of the problems encountered really make me take a step back - especially because some of them could have easily resulted in the rider's death. I am referring to such reports of the rear drive pulley bolts coming out and thus the pulley coming off the hub...

Anyway, I have thought about whether it would be better to buy a new HD or a used one.... My reasoning about a used HD would be that any potential problems may have been discovered by the previous owner(s) and thus hopefully fixed... What are your thoughts on that opinion?

Furthermore, I have noticed from checking out a lot of dealer sites in my area that a lot of 2014 and 2015 bikes are listed as used - and some of them only have 200 to 500 miles on them! Why would someone buy a bike and then get rid of it at such low mileage? Was it because they didn't like the bike or because they discovered that there were major problems?

Please don't take this as me bashing HD... However, I really want to protect myself as the consumer and am doing my due research beforehand.
Are you one of those guys they call a troll? Did your buddies put you up to this? I'm gonna do a vlog about those types of people, thanks for the idea, Sir.

You've done your research obviously so I have to wonder why you would come here asking. Ask the dealer why they're for sale, if they're worth their weight, they'll tell you. Could be a few reason and more than likely not the one you're thinking about. There's always going to be those people out there who buy into the buying into an image when one acquires a Harley. Welcome to the modern day HD marketing campaign. Get you in, get your cash, dress you up like the rest and send you on your way. I'm not saying that's what it's like everywhere, but common.

They are a solid bike across all platforms. The issues you hear of, happen but then again so does sht. Myself, personally, I didn't buy my bikes so I could take them to the dealer to be worked on with every little issue that arouse. When you're playing with your own bikes, the gremlins seem to sort themselves out. If you're a hypochondriac in life and lack the common sense to be able to roll with it, you might not be pleased with your purchase. At the end of the day, myself and many other like minded people out there, choose to ride what we ride because to us, there is no substitute.

If you're for real, imop you're over thinking your forthcoming purchase just a little too much. Let your conscience be your guide. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: First time Harley buyer.....