General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Enclosed Trailer

Just purchased a 7 x 14 enclosed trailer. I have the wheel brackets and "d" ring tie downs for the floor. These all need to be installed, and the "d" rings need to be cut into the floor to make them flush mount. Does anyone have any measurements or ideas on how to position the bikes and tie downs in the trailer. I was thinking two in the front and one in the middle of the back. The other option is to mount so my dresser is in the front middle with other bikes in the back? Any info on how anyone has configured their trailer would be greatly appreciated. PS. doubles as my garage for the bikes too!

Old 09-13-2005, 02:17 PM
softtail3005
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Enclosed Trailer

I have a Haulmark low hauler that came equipped for a motorcycle. It has a Pingle wheel chock which is great because it is removable with one wing nut. The "D rings are spaced in a 4' x 4' square, 1 foot back from the front of the Chock. I use ratchet tie downs on the front, I think this really a must. For the rear I use the regular pull type tie downs. I am assuming that Haulmark knows what that are doing. The layout works great and the bike is solid as a rock.
Best regards
Softtail3005

Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Classic V-Nose, I use the condor aluminum Pit Stop which I use to stand the bike in the garage and it goes in trailer bracket in a minute. this stabilizes and centers the bike. Trailer has built in E-Tracks , one on each side in front and one on each side on the side and separate tiedowns each side rear. The e-tracks are nice as the d-ring is fully adjustable, the tracks are 2 ft long each for a large adjustment of the straps. I use the rachet straps with cusioned straps on each highway bar.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:30 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

We use a 16 foot flatbed. Can easily haul 4 bikes. The chocks can be moved to several configurations.

We first rolled the bikes on the trailer and weighed the tongue. Very important you keep about 60% of the weight on the tounge, or the trailer sways. We can move the chocks for 2, 3, or 4 bike loads. Also have trailor breaks, really helps. We don't trailer often, but for Sturges or Daytona we would have to take too much time traveling, really cuts down on the stay. Also, in this case we towed the kids bikes to Las Vegas, they flew in for the weekend.

Enjoy

[IMG]local://upfiles/3757/190144C8E8E640458F838C04A640830E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-13-2005, 07:17 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

i jus use my a$$...i dont have a trailer, if i want to take my bike somewhere i gotta ride it there...

Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We bought an Agazzi motorcycle trailer a couple of yrs ago now. Had sooo much trouble with the dang thing! When we 1st discussed this with our salesman, we were assured that it was the top of the line and leak proof (water and dust). All seams were sealed and was completely leakproof. This was one of deciding factors when we purchased it. Well, 1st trip we took we found that it was NOT leak proof! It leaks so bad, the plywood inside is starting to rot...It's 2 yrs old! Plus, the frame is sooo rusted, that will probably go anytime now...piece of #$@&*(^%(() crap!

But, anyways, one thing we did get with the trailer was instructions on how to load it. I can't find the instructions right now, but I remember it saying how much weight has to be on the front and on the back for proper hauling. Have you looked into what is recommended for your trailer? Also, it might be an idea to refer to your vehicle manual on how much weight you can pull with the vehicle your driving. Weight - braking factors are often overlooked when deciding on size of trailer to purchase.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:38 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I don't have any experience with bike trailers but in my opinion, you need to position the bikes where you have most of the weight over the axles of the trailer. If I were tieing down a bike, I'd have a tie down running off each side of the fork and one running off each side of the sissy bar. With that and a wheel bracket, the bike will stay put.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Scruffy
5th Gear

Like others have said your weight distrubution is the key. If you know that you will be loading the same bikes each time you can setup a fixed arrangment. If you have the removable chocks you my think about getting some extra mounting kits and install them so you can pick you loading configuration depending on how many and what kind of bike you are hauling. Some thing I have found that helps keep the bikes sung is to make a block to go under the frame of the bike,
you can start out with a piece of a wooden 4X4 and attach a 2X4 or 1X4 to get the proper height and cover it with a piece of carpet. It needs to be sized so that it slides under the bike with no weight on the bike on tension on the straps but tall enough so the frame is supported when you tighten the straps before you bottom out the shocks. This keeps the bike solid without damage to the shocks or forks. I know some people don't like trailers but they come in handy on those long trips and when you want carry a little extra baggage. Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned

trailer? whats a trailer ?
o yeah its that thing rubs use for going to places where real bikers ride to

Old 09-14-2005, 01:26 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Enclosed trailer? What is that for so the BOAT doesnt get rained on? Because of course trailers are for BOATS or BROKEN motorcycles.