General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:33 AM
wardenwf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why would you

I rode choppers for ten years in California without a helmet. The first time I tried a full face helmet I was sold. It made the ride so much better. I still don't like windshields and as good as it feels without a helmet it feels better with a full face helmet. Easier to see and safer.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

As mentioned by several above, I ride year round so the full-face helps with the cold temps. But I also wear it 99% of the time even when it's warm. I forget the thread, but somewhere here on the forum is a diagram showing the percentages of impact location during an accident. I looked on the web and found this:

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

The numbers show that 35% of accidents involved impact in the facial and chin area and is in fact the highest percentage of all the helmet areas. Too high of a probability for me to routinely ignore it. Do I ride without from time-to-time? Yes, but not very often. Besides, my g/f STRONGLY encourages me to protect my face. It's nothing special, but it's mine

Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I wear a full-face because I live in a third-world part of the nation, i.e., the Nation's Capital. About 12 years ago, I was wearing a beanie. At about 70 miles an hour, a landscaper threw a Budweiser bottle out his window. It bounced off the pavement, and hit me in the face. An amazing amount of stitches, a wrecked bike, and a mexican that suddenly forgot how to speak english taught me that no one else on the road cares. That is why I wear one. Been riding for over 20 years, and I do not care what other people think, I do not want to put myself at the mercy of the migrant "citizens", the cellphone soccer moms, tourists, and the brainiacs reading the paper while driving and many other stupid denizens of the Nation's Capital. They are too stupid and aloof to the plight of other's to be trusted. Stitches hurt. Being considered uncool? Whatever. Safety may not be cool, but the ER is REALLY not cool. My .02 and scar's worth. Go ahead and make your fashion statement. I will manage my risk.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to flame you, OK. But it seems that only a few of us understand. I've been riding since 1980. I started off with a FF. Over the years, I've been wearing a shorty. I guess it's the "cool" factor or something. I still get the same sensations when wearing a FF as a shorty, only I feel a lot safer wearing the FF. I've noticed when I wear the FF, alot of riders, mostly riding HD's will not return the wave. This used to bother me alot, but I just ignore it now. I guess they think I'm a dork for wearing one. Hey, wear what you want. I know in the back of their "skulls full of mush", their thinking...hmmm maybe I should wear a FF too. Geesh, wear what you want, be safe.

btw...just ask ****** or check out the post above from ut_vols_fan

Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been riding for what seems forever and until I bought my current Harley, I never had anything but a full face helmet. Yes, it is more comfortable in bad weather, cold, and all, but I do still ride locally with a DOT half helmet too, just depends on the circumstances. I have reached what I'll call an agreement with the better half that when I commute to work (140 miles RT) and when I travel long distances on vacation, etc. I wear the full faced. I take the 1/2 helmet with me once I get where I'm going, but for a lot of open highway, full faced.

Can you be just as dead/injured when Bambi or cellphone toting soccer mom dart from the side of the road or driveway into your path? Of course, but if we were all that scared of riding (motorcycles are dangerous) then we'd all be driving Volvos and this thread, let alone this Forum would not even exist.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I enjoy wearing a half helmet especially in the summer. Bought a full face helmet last fall so I could ride with more comfort in cold weather or in the rain. Funny thing is that the more I wear my full face, the more I like it. I have a better ride at higher speeds (less wind blowin through my head)and don't have to worry about getting a bug..or worse in my eye that could cause an accident.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I thought it was all about CHOICE. Sometimes I choose full face, sometimes skid lid, sometimes nothing at all.

When I am on the highway, I want the protection my full face helmet offers. Simple as that.

Let those who ride decide!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't wear a full-face helmet on a bet. Might as well cut a couple eye-holes in a 5-gallon bucket and put THAT on your head. Can't see worth a damn and can't hear worth a damn with one of them on. I wear a half helmet most of the time but I have a 3/4 helmet I wear if I have to do a fast run down the interstate.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Trick question[8D]

Old 04-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

If you have a radio how would you hear with a full face?

Quick Reply: Why would you