General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why would you

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

Not flaming anyone, but why would you wear a full face helmet? I personally wouldnt because I like the wind in my face and the smells of spring, the freshness after a rain. I wear a half helmet and sunglass! I wear a bandana if its cold. In Canada the only ones that usually wear full face ride crotch rockets. What do you wear and why?

Full face helmet, Half helmet,85% of the rider I Know won't wear a helmet. So glad I live in ILLINOIS, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, No helmet law here.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I consider a full face my regular helmet. Here, when the summers become very hot I will compromise and wear a 1/2 Shoei. However, I feel morereassured with my full face.
Thesummers are hot here also, I'm in Vegas. But I wear a full face helmet year around. About 20 years ago I was in a bike shop, and although I wore a 3/4 helmet back in those days, I looked like I had juststepped out of a shower. In walked another rider that looked like he hadn't worn a helmet at all. But he had, a full face with vents.

So I bought one also and can attest to the fact that they really work. And they work best with the face shield closed so to the air gets to the vents. And you don't get the blast of hot air on your face.

Of course you must open the shield while stopped, but once moving you can actually feel a cooling breeze across the top of your head.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 AM
LimeNine9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

triple digit speedometer readings tend to hurt the ear drums in cooler temps and makes eyes water beyond usefulness andreduces wind fatigue while traveling at said triple digit speedometer readings, THUS wear the "Arai Corsair RX7" helmet (sportbike style)

Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Two reasons for me....cold and rain. But I prefer the 1/2 helmet when it's warm and dry.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A leather hat always and sunglasses with sideshields.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about this...If Ben Rothlisberger had been wearing a full face helmet he would have had NO INJURIES in his wreck. All of his injuries were broken teeth, broken jaw, crushed facial bones etc.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I didn't for years but was going on a 7,000 trip a few years ago and expected all sorts of weather so thought I'd use a full face. After that trip I now find I'm much more comfortable in the full face (especailly with my contacts). I was leaving on a weekend ride a few weeks ago and thought I'd use the 3/4 helmet. Headed out and went about 5 miles, turned around and went back to the house and got the full face. I'm not saying they are for everyone but they work for me.

Gary

Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
bronk
Road Master

Its all about priorities.My kids want daddy to come home every night with his face intact.YOU are NOT in control of every possible thing that can happen(deer,mechanical,other drivers,etc)Risk managment.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

Two reasons for me....cold and rain. But I prefer the 1/2 helmet when it's warm and dry.

I have the same two reasons.

Does wearing a a full face make a person less of a biker/enthusist?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I wear a half head, but my wife wears a full face. She is nervous that if we get hit from behind her face will smash into my lid, so she went with the extra protection.

Joe

Quick Reply: Why would you