General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:06 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why would you

I wear mine when it is 50 degrees and lower outside. Keeps my face from falling off. I have used ski masks before but in the spring around here there is a lot of sand kicked up from all crap that they put down in the winter . In the summer I wear a 1/2 helmet and goggles ..mark...

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

Not flaming anyone, but why would you wear a full face helmet? I personally wouldnt because I like the wind in my face and the smells of spring, the freshness after a rain. I wear a half helmet and sunglass! I wear a bandana if its cold. In Canada the only ones that usually wear full face ride crotch rockets. What do you wear and why?
I've seen the pics.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 PM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I rode up to visit some friends I have'nt seen in a while. (They just moved home.) 2 hr. ride. 45 degrees. Thought we'd go for a spin together. Naw... too cold. (Pussies.) Well we hung for a few hrs. Sun started going down, so did the temps. Gotta' go I said. Out come the heated gloves and the full face. Did I mention the smile on my face for the ride home too. If you're comfortable you'll ride. They razzed me about my power ranger gear. But did I mention I rode.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member

Wonder how many people complain about not hearing with a full face helmet.......and then go on with a half helmet and earplugs?!?!?!?!?

Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Chief279
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Darryl88

Not flaming anyone, but why would you wear a full face helmet? I personally wouldnt because I like the wind in my face and the smells of spring, the freshness after a rain. I wear a half helmet and sunglass! I wear a bandana if its cold. In Canada the only ones that usually wear full face ride crotch rockets. What do you wear and why?

Well, I thought the answer to your question was obvious...and others have given you some of the reasons why Iwear a full face but it pretty much comes down tocomfort and protection for me. On top of that, not flaming anyone, I don't careabout the no helmet or half (***'d) helmet fashion statement some feel is important. I wear what I want and hope you do the same for your own reasons.

Basically, I've seen the value, up close and personal many times, of a good helmet in 38 years of riding.It's important to note that wearing a full face helmet does NOT block thesmells of spring, freshness afterrainor all the wind in your face.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 AM
JBechtel
Intermediate

I had the displeasure of sliding along the asphalt as a youngster. The ER nurse used a stiff bristle brush to scrub the road dirt out of the wound which almost perforated my abdomen. Still have the 6 inch cheese grater scar on my side. I do not want my face going through that.

Full face when at speed. I'll go helmetless if laws allow at very low speed like rally traffic of touring a park, etc..

Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,488 Likes on 4,381 Posts

For the really cold weatheron longer rides tis oh so nice! Don't seem to need it on cold weather short commute rides.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:35 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

Have you read the posts to my thread "What is the worst thing to hit you in the face while riding"? That should answer your question![:'(][:'(][:'(]

Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Darryl, this isn't a shot at your thread, in fact you asked a greatquestion and it got me thinking about all the new riders on this forum.Myself, I've never had a windshield, I hardly wear my jacket in the summer and I wear a skidlid. It's what I've always done and wouldn't be comfortable riding any other way...............also am I an idiot for doing this, YES.

A few years back (2002) I lost a cousin because of a cheap half helmet. He always had Truimphs when we were young, but as we got older he kept saying that he was going to buy a new Harley before he turned 50 (He was 49 when he bought the Road King). David was in a great place in his life, him & his wife had just bought a new house, the kids were in University. I was always makingfun of him though, because he spent a small fortune on that bike, but he was wearing this 25 year old jacket (all beat to hell) and a helmet that had been kicking around forever. He had the RK for about 10 months, when he had his accident. He was coming home on a Saturday from a local rally, he took a corner doing no more than 35 MPH (witnesses), the front wheel touched the soft shoulder, he over-compensated and swerved onto the opposite side of the road, then he completely lost control and went into the ditch on his side of the road, he was thrown about 5 feet away from the bike. There were no trees, rocks or telephone polls, but his helmet was split in half. The police figure that as he went down into the ditch, the bike must have flipped and hit him in the head. There were moments the firstcouple of weekswhere we thought there might be hope, but once all the tests were in, they told his wife that he was brain dead. The doctor blamed the helmet and said that the trauma was so severe, that even if he did live, he would be a vegetable. He died about a month later.

I know that was long AND a bit dramatic, I almost never comment on the accident threads in here (because I think it's bad luck I guess?) but I wanted to get a point across. David could have been any one of us, middleaged, good job, great family, sounds like most of the people here. We have a lot of threads in here about what people wearand we also have a lot of new riders.Most of us Geezers are going to wear what we've always worn (whatever that may be).But for you new riders who get all excited and buy all that leather,expensive helmets and Harley boots, then look at some guy going down the rode in a T-Shirt &skidlid,and wonder "Did I buy the right gear"............Yes you did.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess we each wear what we wear because we're adults and don't have to ask anyone's permission. Weigh the risks; make a choice; don't whine if the choice didn't work out for you.

Quick Reply: Why would you