General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:24 AM
dastark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tire question.

In doing a search I've concluded that Metzeler it is. I want a good braking, rain performer. Agreed? My dilema is, I just need the rear. I want whitewalls but see no sense in replacing the front when its o.k. Would it look allright with the fat whitewall only on the rear? BTW, 80 spoke wheels on a Fatboy. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Another tire question.

One white wall might look a little strange but it's only for a little while (?) and things would end up the way you want.

Laced wheels on a Fat Boy? Personally I don't like laced wheels on any Harley. You have to have a tube and can't do a roadside repair on a flat and if for nothing else, appearance. The wheels make the Fat Boy as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, why else buy a Fat Boy?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:28 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you have read the how do I clean my white walls "threads", so the only thing that remains is why you want to do it. If it's the look then you will need two tires. Going with one will make you talk to your bike in a negative way and have you making promises to it, "ya I know, I'll fix your front when it wears out". You might want to photo shop your ride with white walls to see if you really want that look.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

The one whitewall/one blackwall might look a little weird, but I'd be more worried about differences in compounds. I replaced the rear tire on my Gold Wing once, with a Bridgestone, when the Metzler that had been on there blew out. (Financial constraints at the time...) However the front tire was still a Metzler. The bike tracked strangely. At speed it felt like the frame was flexing. I ended up scrounging up the money, and ended up replacing the front tire pretty soon afterward with a matching Bridgestone. (again, because at the time the Metzlers were out of reach budget wise...) Bike ran straight, but I wasn't nearly as comfortable in less than idea conditions. Metzlers are like road glue! Unless it is really going to break the bank, I'd recommend you bit the bullet, and replace both tires. Gives you matching whitewalls AND matching rubber compounds. You can always keep the front, if it is OK, and then sometime down the road, if bucks are an issue, and you need new rubber, you can just buy the matching rear, and you're off to the races.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

You're better off to replace both tires at the same time. When I switched to my Metzelers, my front tire was done, but I still had about 50% or more left on my rear. I just changed them both.

I really like my Metzelers. They're awesome in the rain, don't follow grooves in the pavement, corner way better than the stock Dunlops, etc...

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM
fl96clax
Novice

Thinking about Metzlers myself. Have heard they are good in the rain. Since you are changing brands should probably change both. Also since you want the white walls you may catch a lot of s##t for having different looking tires. I did. Wanted the large white walls and started with the back only. Caught enough s##t that I changed the front out early. They are hard to keep clean. Once scraped they never look the same.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing them both at the same time will keep the look you want if you're worried about them looking a little strange with just one whitewall. I replaced my stock Dunlop with a Metzler 880 and left the front tire as it still had good tread, thinking I'd replace it when it wore down. 2 months later, I parked on top of a broken Bud bottle that sliced the tire so bad, it could not be repaired, so hello new Metzler on the front. Can't say as I regret the decision.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Like Kato said....Better off replacing both tires...Metzelers are a stickier compound than the dunlops and your bike may pull in cornering or hard braking!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 AM
dastark
Road Master

Thanks all.Great advice. I just hated to throw away a perfectly good tire. (Front.)Two it is. As for why I did spokes on a Fatboy? I just liked 'em. Same with the whitewalls. Classic look, and you don't see it everyday. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've run with two different tires for brief periods before when swapping from one brand to another. As long as ur not out road racing and pushing the limits on twisties it seems to make no difference at least on my cruisers and general commuting.

I've got WWW Metzelers on my bike and love them.

I live on a dirt road and keeping them clean really isn't that difficult to be honest. A box of Brillo pads is all you need.I clean them about every other week when I wash the bike. Takes maybe 10 extra minutes. If that's too much time for some people oh well, I love white walls and they're not a big deal to keep clean.