General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke the tip off a torx bit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts
Default RE: broke the tip off a torx bit

any tool I need to make a living with is MAC, SK, or Snap-On.

Craftsmen tools are for hobbyists. They don't fit into tight spaces well... just look at how thick the wrenches are and the sidewalls of the sockets.

They will work well for most of the people most of the time, but when they are used hard they fail. Locktite is very unforgiving on cheap tools.

I have Craftsmen tools that are over 30 years old, some that are probably close to 50. I doubt those are of the same quality as the tools K-Mart is selling in thier tool dept now that they own Sears and the Craftsman brand. I wouldn't buy a new Craftsmen tool on a dare.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy Craftsman tools any day of the week (providing they ARE Craftsman), and they'll last as long as the 'pro' tools. Rather hard to be an inferior tool if they come w/a lifetime warranty. Even if you DID get a bad one, a new one is just around the corner.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

And that my friends is the definition of a "Sweeping Generalization".... look it up.
Craftsmen Tools are for craftsmen! Not knuckle dragging MAC and Snap-on lovers!!!
Death to the Johnny Come Lately wanna be tools!!

JK

lp

ORIGINAL: Neggy ZRXOA 5248

any tool I need to make a living with is MAC, SK, or Snap-On.

Craftsmen tools are for hobbyists. They don't fit into tight spaces well... just look at how thick the wrenches are and the sidewalls of the sockets.

They will work well for most of the people most of the time, but when they are used hard they fail. Locktite is very unforgiving on cheap tools.

I have Craftsmen tools that are over 30 years old, some that are probably close to 50. I doubt those are of the same quality as the tools K-Mart is selling in thier tool dept now that they own Sears and the Craftsman brand. I wouldn't buy a new Craftsmen tool on a dare.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

I am a manufacturing enginner by degree. Back in the 80's I ran the production line for a company called US Windpower, we made all those wind turbines you saw in the Altamont Pass/ Livermore CA area.

I supplied my 20 techs with tools. Everyone was given what they needed to do the job. Different manufacturers from Cornwell to Snap-on andeveything in between, But NO Craftsman tools.

The guys were welcome to add to thier company tools at thier expense. If I liked what they brought in, I bought 20 of them and everyone got one.

I had one guy I hired who said he wanted to use his own tools, All Craftsman. I said no problem, but that toolbox is the corner is yours when you want it. His adventure in using his own tools lasted less than a week. Every breaktime he was running to the sears store about a half a mile away. He was always replacing a broken tool.

I also have 2 sets of Craftsmen tools, one at my house, and one in my professional tool set. I use those as duplicates sometimes you need 2 of the same sized sockets on a job, most of my SK stuff is 6 point. my Craftsmen is all 12 point. If you have to ask what's the difference besides the looks you don't know tools.

I remember when I was trying to change the rear shocks in my 73 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV and my craftsman wrench wouldn't fit in the space. My Snap-On fit perfectly. Took me an hour to go to the shop and get the "good" tool, an hour I could have been doing something else.

These are just my opinions, and you are entitled to yours. I am just real fussy about tooling, I don't mind spending for quality, because it sure beats the downtime a broken tool causes.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Wow.. I was joking. You ARE serious about tools.

Well back in 42 I had 30 guys working for me, back then tools were made of wood and along came this tools set called craftsman.....

lp

Old 04-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll assume that was 42 AD

Old 04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well sears or rather kmart now heh.. gave me a whole new set, 29.00 buck set for just one broken torx bit... lol what a waste

If I win the lotto Ill go buy a full set of MAC or snap-on ... but until then heh... craftsm^^^mart it is

Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Just went out and bought the Chraftsman set I'll let you know as I brake them.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:34 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh the torx bit I broke was only a T-25 useing a 1/4inch head ratchet...

Heh I could see useing a T45 or such with a 3/4inch or 1/2 and ripping the bit head off of some red locktited bolt heh.. that would be a knuckle smasher.

Strange enough.. eh that a set of STEEL long shanked T45 T50 T55 torx bits I got a an Autozoneare way stronger than the ?? graphite.. whatever the f'n they make craftsman ones out of