General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke the tip off a torx bit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:52 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: broke the tip off a torx bit

Always use blue on anything you will have to take apart again someday. to get the red lose.........heat the head with a heavy duty sodering gun.........when hot enough , it will turn

Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after going through a few torx sets, I got a set from these guys
http://www.wihatools.com/

still using the same bits.

I don't know about online, but the Sears by my house doesn't carry a Craftsman torx set. They carry some other cheap *** brand. I don't care of Sears would replace or not, I would prefer something that isnt so prone to break in the first place.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not as old as a lot of people here (35) but...
I was given some Craftsmen tools when I got my first car at 15. These were older ones that were passed down by a friend. I have rebuilt motors, used them professionaly (I used to do refrigeration), and used them improperly.
Most of them are still in use now 20 years later. Some of these were probably 20+ years old when I got them. I gave them to my brother about 10 years ago when I bought a new set. (not sure why I bought new ones... it's a strange sickness)

Anyhow, my point is that they aren't prone to break, they aren't crap, and Crafstmen tools will last long enough to pass down to your kids and even grandkids.

I'm not sure why everyone is bashing them. I sure as heck dont have the money to spend for Mac or Snapon. If I used them every day as a pro, maybe. Oh, and no waiting for the truck to show up at my house... oh wait, I haven't even seen a truck around for a long long time.

I guess I'm just a bit sentimental. Like I said, it's a sickness.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:24 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Snap-On or Craftsman....

........Worse than the HD-Metric battle and about as old.

Both are quality tools, have pretty much the same replacement policies, but one is more accessable than the other, and the is more expensive.

I have a $2000.00 Craftsman roll-a-way in the garage that holds and protects the tools as well as a $6000.00 Snap-on of the same size.

Through the 30 some odd years that box has been around,I have stuffed it with tools and parts and pieces, and it still rolls like the dayI put it together.(The wrenches I used to do that are also still in it)

Broke tools?
Of course I have, just like anyone else, I can attempt to use the wrong tool for the job and watch it break.(And that normally comes with skin missing somewhere)

And in all the years of dealing with Sears/Craftsman,I have only ever had two "real" issues with thier tools or replacement policy.

1. WhenI bought a 3/4" drive socket set from Sears, Craftsman didn't make it, Wright Tools did.

2. For awhile, Craftsman didn't replace ratchets, they gave you a "rebuild kit" or a "rebuilt" ratchet. (They have since stopped that policy)

And they never questioned replacing a tool, were curious as to how the tool got to look "that way' but never questioned replacing it.

Snap-on lays claim to the "proffessional market", well duh, they send a truck to the proffessional market, and make it easier for a busy pro to get tools, and get tools serviced. (Not to mention they also have a easy pay credit account)

My main reason for going Craftsman, Price and Availability.
No matter where you are, you can find a Sears close by.
And for the amount of toolsI own, I saved enough to buy even more, to save on.

But I can't brag that I have a complete set of unused snap-on's out in the garage.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doh, thought my really expensive torque wrench was a snap-on for some odd reason.. it's a MAC heh... which is even more expensive than snap-on.

Not that it matters anyhoo

I am going for a ride right now, put meh boots on... Ill stop by sears (since its sunday) and get a replacement(hopefully)
Going for a 120mile ride(round trip)....I feel the need to stop posting and go... ADIOS!!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

I am going for a ride right now, put meh boots on... Ill stop by sears (since its sunday) and get a replacement(hopefully)
Going for a 120mile ride(round trip)....I feel the need to stop posting and go... ADIOS!!
It's greatthat the bottom line is always the pavement.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:48 PM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

Not to stir a stink.....but alot of the tool companys (mac snap-on matco) dont make their own torque wrenches....central tool makes them...they are the king of the torque wrench. Going back to torx discussion......the sockets are fine but the bits are what stink....no matter what brand.....the bit is the wink link

wayne

Old 04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Red Locktight can break any torx tip, This is the problem, Not the tool

Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I HATE TORX!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I have the same set as you. My Craftsman tools are over 30 years old.
You put major torque to a little bitty bit and it will break almost every time. Nothing new here. That isunless you're using Titanium bits or something...lol

I'm with ya Rhuharb, I'm more proud of my tools than I am of my bike!
The bikes will come and go.... the tools stay.

lp

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I'm not as old as a lot of people here (35) but...
I was given some Craftsmen tools when I got my first car at 15. These were older ones that were passed down by a friend. I have rebuilt motors, used them professionaly (I used to do refrigeration), and used them improperly.
Most of them are still in use now 20 years later. Some of these were probably 20+ years old when I got them. I gave them to my brother about 10 years ago when I bought a new set. (not sure why I bought new ones... it's a strange sickness)

Anyhow, my point is that they aren't prone to break, they aren't crap, and Crafstmen tools will last long enough to pass down to your kids and even grandkids.

I'm not sure why everyone is bashing them. I sure as heck dont have the money to spend for Mac or Snapon. If I used them every day as a pro, maybe. Oh, and no waiting for the truck to show up at my house... oh wait, I haven't even seen a truck around for a long long time.

I guess I'm just a bit sentimental. Like I said, it's a sickness.

Quick Reply: broke the tip off a torx bit