General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on modular helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on modular helmets?

I'm in need of upgrading my current helmet. I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a quality modular helmet. I was curious to know what other peoples' experiences have been with them? I have been eyeballing the Schuberth C3 Pro and Lazer Monaco Carbon...obvious differences are the flip-down sunshade vs transition lens. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome! Thanks.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:42 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Shoei Neotec.

The only thing i Hate is, no tinted outer viser is available. Other than that it is a nice helmet.

Personally, I don't care for the flip down sun visor. I wear prescription sun glasses that are way better to look through.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:51 PM
FLHTK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Shuberth C3 (along with several other helmets). It keeps from fogging up in the cooler wet weather and is very light for a full coverage. I use prescription glasses and find using the drop down sun lens and outer shield just creates too much plastic to look through. Overall one of the best helmets I've tried.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I wore a full-face Arai Quantum II for seven years. It fit me well and I was happy with it. I decided to go to a modular because, I became accustomed to the full-face keeping my jowls from flapping at 75 MPH, but wanted the flip-up for convenience. I now have two modulars: a Schuberth C3 and a Shoei Neotec.

With my C3 I have the integrated SRC communication system in the collar roll of the helmet. Upsides: Helmet outside dimensions smaller than most other full-face and modular helmet, so a little less stress on neck. Tinted visor and flip up wind screen both function well. I will sometime wear sunglasses on long-days in bright sunlight, but generally the tinted visor is sufficient for both wind and sun. SRC provides good connectivity with phone and comms with other riders. The C3 does a good job of reducing wind noise. Downsides: The C3 is a round head shape helmet, and is designed to be worn more snugly than many others. The helmet fit break-in requires several long rides, and is a little uncomfortable during this process. Try the C3 on; your head-shape may not be "right" for Schuberth. However, after my break-in, I've been very happy with it. Schuberths are pricey.

I got a Shoei Neotec because I wanted to incorporate helmet speakers and mic to work with Harley's corded Boombox system. The Neotec is a larger helmet when set side-by-side with the C3. The tinted visor and windscreen mechanisms work well. I also can comfortably wear sunglasses on particularly bright days, but the visor is fine on most days. It too is a quiet helmet, but slightly louder than the C3. The airflow management system works well, so it remains as cool as possible. It doesn't fit as snugly as a C3, and my break-in was shorter. I actually find the Neotec to be a little more comfortable to wear on long days. As with the C3, the flip-up mechanism is tight, yet easy to operate. The Shoei is also a little pricey, but worth the investment to me.

Both helmets have the pin-lock screen attached to the wind visor, and both are very effective at preventing visor fog in rainy or cold weather riding.

I am happy with both helmets. I wear both about equally, really depending on what my communication needs are for the ride.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 PM
GibsonSG05
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 modular helmets. I love them. For me personally, when it comes to protection, anything less than 3/4 is futile.

I purchased a Bilt Solar modular helmet. It was good but had wind noise. The top vent popped up and would not close. Bilt has a 5 year warranty and Cycle Gear replaced it for free.

Now I have a Bilt Techno modular helmet w/ Bluetooth and I love it. This has very little wind noise if any. The Bluetooth works great for music and calls are clear on both ends.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by senna
I have a Shoei Neotec.
I have one as well, wear it during the cooler months - I love mine....

Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 PM
edm11
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schuberth C3 Pro

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the Schuberth C3 Pro
Is worth the $700. My VH Pro Pipe is loud & I have tinnitus
And my Arai was not cutting it. The C3 Pro is amazing w/ earplugs.
I can get away w/out earplugs wearing it. Took a few months to
Feel really broken in, but I love it now. My Arai is cooler temperature.
The pinlock face shield has Been fog free & I like being able to flip up the front of helmet.
My experience & research the C3 Pro is the quietest helmet on the mkt.
It's silent on my dual sport. FYI I wear a small Arai, but Medium C3 Pro.
They feel tight & clostrophobic in showroom, but that's because of the padding
Around the neck to keep decibels down. I really like the flip down visor but I'd like
It darker. Beats carrying extra shield like i did w/ the Arai. It took months to get
Used to the slightly clostrophobic feeling of the Schuberth but I don't think I will ever buy
Another brand after owning one. Last helmets were all full face Arai, Scorpion, & Shoei. Used
On euro bikes.

Last edited by edm11; 12-04-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

Schuberth. Worth it; quiet, light, I wear glasses and like the built in sun shade. Wear it from 40-100 degrees. Took all but the dot sticker off; it is a relatively expensive lid

Old 12-05-2014, 02:24 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I also have the Shuberth C3 Pro. It's an excellent helmet. Very quiet and cuts through the air like butter. The flip down sun shield is excellent (although I would like it to be about 1/2" longer) and the air flow through the helmet is superb. The pin lock anti fog system also works very well - although the sun shield will still fog slightly, but I guess the times you need anti fog protection and a tinted visor are rare.

On the downside, it's very expensive.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

The flip-down sun shades are best used only when the sun is right in your face, otherwise a nice pair of Oakleys or equivalent will provide much better eye protection especially when riding with the shield up around town.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on modular helmets?