General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoptx Eyewear

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:07 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Panoptx Eyewear

I like them alot, I have to buy my wife a new pair last fall we were in Vermont stopped to get something to eat, got back on bike my wife dropped hers out of her pocket just after we pulled out and the truck behind us ran them over.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: tail11

Pans are good glasses until you drop them. They will scratch in a heartbeat. I bought a pair of Curvz and have been wearing them since.
I'm wearing Curvz now - the dealer sells 'em for $19 I like that they're cheap and that you can bend the frame to wrap around tighter but optically the lens quality on the smoked gray pair I ownseems poor to average at bestand the foam doesn't seal out the wind very well even with the nice tight fit.

I could live with the Curves if I had one pair for day and one pair for night....but there's plenty of other things to worry about out there on the road without having to mess around with your eyewear.I'll probably need a transition lens to be satisfied.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: firefighter3666

I had a pair of H-D sunglasses with the pop-out lenses (dark tint for day, clear for night). I dropped and broke these while pulling my bike of the trailer, not the best way to start a week at Daytona. A trip to Destination H-D, and a slightly lighter wallet later I had a new pair of Panoptyx transition lenses. I used them the entire tiime I was down there, and overall I'm very happy with them. The newer models have a removable foam, allowing you to shed the goggle feature when not on the bike. I have found that on really bright days the Panoptyx aren't as dark as I'd like. This is probably a result of too many years wearing Oakleys. I also discovered that the transition lenses are confused by the UV shielding of your higher end full face helmets. With the shield down on the helmet, the lenses don't "sense" the sunlight and they lighten like dusk.
The models with the removable foam cost a bit more but it seems that's the best setup seeing as how the only commoncomplaint I've seen about Panoptx is that the foam falls off sooner or later so ifI decide on Panoptyx I'll get a spare liner and be all set for a while.The removable liner option also means they're good for use as regular sunglasses.

As for the light/darkness -- I've worn various Oakleys forever and love 'em-- but out on the road I prefer to err on the side of a little too light than a lens that will betoo dark during sub-optimal conditions.

I think the newest Panoptyx have two levels of transition lens-(one gets really dark but not as clear) plus there'san insert you can use with the lighter transition lens to darken it up-but for me that takes away from the simplicity I'm looking for.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had the Panoptix Raptor day/night transition sunglasses for ayear and love mine. The onlydownside is they're not as good asfull blown sunglasses when you're going into the setting sun. But for 90% of my riding, they're great and will be buying another pair. I heard that Panoptix replaced the Raptor with a similar model for this year.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Corby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pair of Pans and love them. I use the transitional lenses along with the foam over my contacts and my eyes have never dried out.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a pair of pans 4 yrs ago and really like them. They have the varia lens, (not made anymore). A little to dark for night riding, but still work well. Now I wear the HD profile goggle with day/night lens. Just as good as my pans for half the cost and I like the lens ability to change to full clear at night or low UV/cloudy days. Plus I can purchase replacement foam/lens at the dealer instead of sending them out.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a pair of Pan's - they're OK. I'd like them to be a little darker though.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:54 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't already, check out the closeout section of Panoptx's web site, here:

https://www.panoptxstore.com/shopdis...inued%20Models

You can find some pretty good buys on discontinued models...