General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new boots????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 PM
so165
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new boots????

My wife just gave me a new pair of boots, I tell ya what, my ankles are killing me during this breakin period. Any body know any tricks to breakin in boots quicker or is it just one of those things ya got to wait out.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: new boots????

Hmmm

Get some moleskin (good for blisters) and put patches of it on ur ankles and then wear the ____ out of the boots till they more comphy...
Wear a bigger sock..a boot sock, if you can wear a thin wicker type of sock under the boot sock..lots of padding and your foot wont soak in the boot sock

My new cruiserworks boots didn't hurt my feet at all (I got the Men's Defenders)

Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not from the school that thinks you have to "break in" a pair of boots. Either they fit properly or they don't. If I had that kind of problem I would want them to give and stretch as much as possible in as short a time as possible. I would get them soaking wet early in the day and wear them thru out the day till they dried, hoping that would help "break them in".

Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Duct tape on your heels for 1 week.
Always works for me. I buy heavy leather boots and it takes a bit for them to mold to my feet.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whaap

I would get them soaking wet early in the day and wear them thru out the day till they dried, hoping that would help "break them in".
Yep, this is the best way. Walk thru a stream then walk 'em dry.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

Send them back and get the right size, they should feel ok out of the box if not then you have the wrong size.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 AM
skateboard
Road Warrior

to break in my heavy leather work boots i'll wear them around the house for 2-3 days,acouple hours a day.the taller the boots the longer it will take.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

1. Join Army as 11B.
2. Spend 12 years as 11B.
3. Wear whatever you want because you don't have much if any feeling in your feet anymore.

Easy as 1,2,3.

Actually, I prefer the "get them wet" method. Rub some conditioner on them as well if your not real worreid about the color darkening up some.

Wear a Boot Liner and then a Boot Sock, for the first couple days. That was good advice too.

Your boots should "fit well" before break in and shout "Fit Perfect" afterward. If they don't it is the wrong boot for you.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

Wish I could help you out some, but my Doc Martens didn't require any break-in period they were comfortable from day 1.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know what you mean... although they might be the right size, the leather is very stiff. The only way to remedy that is to wear them. Oiling them up to help soften the leather helps to quicken the process. I have done theinside and the outside onone particular pair of bootsI had...they were really stubborn to break in.That helped quite a lot.

I have found with each new pair I buy, the best thing is to get them wet. The leather willstretch a bitwhen it's wetor well oiled and fit your foot and ankle much better. There are always the big bandaid type bandages you can wear in the mean time to help lessen rubbing or chaffing.

Before you know it..they will be your favourite.

Quick Reply: new boots????