General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payments. Here's my plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:02 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Payments. Here's my plan

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Guess I'm 'old fashion', but I don't believe in usingother peoples money(credit), along with paying interest,tomake purchases.

Especially when this credit and interest are being used to purchase items might be considered a 'luxury item', and not necessary for day to day survival.

I just like the feeling of being completely debt free, and not having to worry about currentor future financial obligations.

But that's just my opinion, and opinions vary.

I don't mind carrying some debt. If you are a hard worker, and have confidence in your abilities, I see no reason not to borrow some money. I tend to make double payments on most of my stuff, so I get things paid down rather quickly. I am not rich, but I have some nice toys, and we eat well.

Nice bike by the way.

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:16 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can manage your money,and give a much better return than what your doing forself now,,
shall we set up an account,,, $200 will get you started

Old 04-13-2007 | 08:22 PM
toprofile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc
I don't mind carrying some debt. If you are a hard worker, and have confidence in your abilities, I see no reason not to borrow some money. I tend to make double payments on most of my stuff, so I get things paid down rather quickly. I am not rich, but I have some nice toys, and we eat well.
Nice bike by the way.
I kinda mirror those sentiments.
I tend to wait till I can afford it in cash, put 25% down, take a 3 year loan, and make double payments every other month. that way if things DO get a little lean for any reason I have the buffer of the payments in savings already, and I can just make a regualr payment monthly instead of doubles.

Course I also keep a 6 month cover of all paymments for all expenses liquid just in case too.
Never know when that hurricane could screw me fubar bigtime.

Old 04-13-2007 | 08:54 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

I hear ya. I have 14.9%. I will be paying mine off early too!!
14%? i think you can do better than that with a decent credit card, like caplital one or something.

Old 04-13-2007 | 09:26 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan to retire off what you put away in a 401k in a couple of years after you pay off your toys forget it, by the time you are 48 you should have been putting money into it for at least 25 years and you will be lucky to have enough to retire on. Do you own a house? real estate can return more money on the dollar than most retirement plans if done right. The best thing is to have both, a house in a good area that will appreciate in value that by the time you are ready to retire will be paid off or have alot of equity. When you retire you sell the house move to a area where the cost of living is less, buy a house or condo put enough down to have a small mortgage and smartly invest the rest. The lesson is if you have not planed this years ago and only doing so now you are pretty much scewed unless you start agressive saving now. Otherwise you are destined to to live in the basement of kids house during your senior years with social security as your only income.

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:15 PM
joesdad
Novice

Many of you guys are pretty insensitive to other folks financial circumstances..to each his own..none of us are going to take it with us you know..pretty smart to live life for today if you ask me..if you are meeting your obligation to your family..your toys are no body elses business..jmo

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:22 PM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was married to a money sucking ... Just fixing it now.

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:45 PM
fl96clax
Novice

Dallastx
The example of paying off the loan by making double payments to interest is wrong. Unless you haveno payment penalties that apply.
Make your regular payment plus an additional payment towards principal. Get the payment table for your loan to find out how much each principal payment each month amounts to.
Write a second check each month and write "Principal Reduction Only" at the bottom of the check.
I've done this with several loans. Cars, bikes, boats and mortgage. I works quicker than you think. But watch the lender's math. Don't know how many calls I've made because of errors on the banks part.

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:59 PM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I have a very good retirement plan with my company.

Old 04-13-2007 | 11:27 PM
greyhound
Stage IV

Always been a saver,and worked hard for my money.I had a 2004 honda shadow, and paid cash, saved my money for 2 more years. And this year i'm buying a 2007 street glide and paying cash for it but thats just me.

Quick Reply: Payments. Here's my plan