General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payments. Here's my plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 02:59 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Payments. Here's my plan

Correct biggzed

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:05 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

One rule of thumb I have tried to live by to pay things off early is:

Figure out what the principal and interest are separately. When making your payment each month, try to double the interest portion every month. You will pay it off in less than half the time. For example:

Monthly payment (principal + Interest) is $200
Principal is $50
Interest is $150
Try to pay $350 each month.
So what happens at the mid way point and beyond, when the interest portion starts becoming less than the principal?

Since you have less time on the sports car, I'd concentrate more on that one first, put more towards that first. Once that is paid off, take that entire payment from the sports car and apply it to the bike. (I applied that principle to some high credit cards, helped more to concentrate on one, the smaller one, then go for the bigger one with the extra dough)!

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:09 AM
Dallastx
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very good idea cry. Both vehicles have the same interest rate.

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:25 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

One rule of thumb I have tried to live by to pay things off early is:

Figure out what the principal and interest are separately. When making your payment each month, try to double the interest portion every month. You will pay it off in less than half the time. For example:

Monthly payment (principal + Interest) is $200
Principal is $50
Interest is $150
Try to pay $350 each month.
So what happens at the mid way point and beyond, when the interest portion starts becoming less than the principal?

Since you have less time on the sports car, I'd concentrate more on that one first, put more towards that first. Once that is paid off, take that entire payment from the sports car and apply it to the bike. (I applied that principle to some high credit cards, helped more to concentrate on one, the smaller one, then go for the bigger one with the extra dough)!
Thanks for pointing this out. I forgot to address that part of it. You would simply double the principal. This generally happens with around 12 months left on the loan. Thanks for pointing out my omission on this piece of info.

Old 04-13-2007 | 09:58 AM
squid
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you go 72 mo. if you wanna pay back early? And everytime you call that saturn a sports car,my ears start to bleed.

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:37 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Guess I'm 'old fashion', but I don't believe in usingother peoples money(credit), along with paying interest,tomake purchases.

Especially when this credit and interest are being used to purchase items might be considered a 'luxury item', and not necessary for day to day survival.

I just like the feeling of being completely debt free, and not having to worry about currentor future financial obligations.

But that's just my opinion, and opinions vary.

Old 04-13-2007 | 10:43 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Guess I'm 'old fashion', but I don't believe in usingother peoples money(credit), along with paying interest,tomake purchases.

Especially when this credit and interest are being used to purchase items might be considered a 'luxury item', and not necessary for day to day survival.

I just like the feeling of being completely debt free, and not having to worry about currentor future financial obligations.

But that's just my opinion, and opinions vary.

It would take me 10 lifetimes to save up enough to afford all the bikes you own.

In addition, I think everyone likes the feeling of "not having to worry about currentor future financial obligations"

That is pretty much the definition of RICH!

Old 04-13-2007 | 11:15 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Having just retired and reflecting back, I'm sure glad that I got ahold of myself many years ago and became a better money manager. It happens quickly, one morning you wake up and it's time to retire, but canwe(if married)? Glad tosee that you're thinking and prepared to act on it. FWIW,some major contributors to our early retirement was, weusually purchased used cars and bikes, like 2-3 yrs old and neverborrowed for toys. Now it's time to play.

Old 04-13-2007 | 11:23 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If I had to finance a toy for 72 months, I'd do without.

Dallas,

Aren't you 48? By the time you get around to finally adding more to your retirement, you will be facing retirement.

Old 04-13-2007 | 12:02 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were 48, I would be putting every available dollar into a 401k or IRA. Even if it means selling one of the toys and getting a used beater just for transportation.
It's true you only live once, but if you expect to live long enough to retire, Social Security is not enough to live on and that problem is gonna get worse before long.

Quick Reply: Payments. Here's my plan