General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you big wheel guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014 | 08:51 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Old 10-29-2014 | 05:34 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by sgod1100
I'll pull mine up to that one and make him look like the slow bagger it is...
Very nice scoot and I like the setup you're running...however......however....you just made your self a target for the "OLD GUYS" who protest that their mods are purely functional..... and are no way intended to divert attention to them...the last thing they want is to be labeled is insecure and have a letter sent to Dr.Phil

Old 10-29-2014 | 06:00 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member

Krutch says: They'll be sorry when the front gets a flat at speed, or a blow out! Tire will come off before they can get control. If they
ever get control back

Stock Harley

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 10-29-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-29-2014 | 10:00 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Funny. I had a front blow out on my 03 FLHRC going around a curve on I-595 by the airport. It felt a little squirrely, but nothing major. I managed to ride it all the way to the red light at Stirling road, and it wasn't until I stopped that I finally realized there was a problem. And that was on a tubed tire.

My guess is it's worse if the rear goes out than the front.

Old 10-29-2014 | 10:40 AM
Calavera Negra
Cruiser

Not gonna lie, those motorized drift trikes are sweet!!

Old 10-29-2014 | 01:55 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
Krutch says: They'll be sorry when the front gets a flat at speed, or a blow out! Tire will come off before they can get control. If they
ever get control back

Harley Front Tire Blows Causing A Nasty Motorcycle Crashes - YouTube

Stock Harley
What caused that second guy to crash? It doesn't appear that he made contact with the front guy. I suspect he just panicked and "laid it down".

Old 10-29-2014 | 01:56 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike
When guys push the boundaries, the middle ground comes along for the ride. A few years ago, a 21" wheel on a touring bike was considered big. When a few guys started building 23"ers, they looked HUGE. But, by the time the first 30" builds appeared, a 23" build didn't look very big at all. Now, most guys don't even notice the difference between a 21 and a 23.

The same thing happened a couple of decades ago in the custom car world. Colorado Customs came out with a 20" wheel, and the self-proclaimed "old-skool" hot rodders laughed at the rubber band tires. Those same guys who are ordering their Challengers from the factory with 20" hoops now, and it takes a 26" or larger wheel on a passenger car to draw any notice. It wasn't a fad, it was a paradigm shift.
Some fads have influenced paradigm shifts, but this is definitely a fad.

Old 10-29-2014 | 03:49 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master

I think the big wheels look stupid, but this is my opinion. They are for show only and can not be safe to ride down the highway (imagine that 30inch tire catching a rut or pot hole at 75mph). But as we ourselves think that we have a sweet *** looking rides, they think the same way. To each their own.....

Old 10-29-2014 | 04:02 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Funny. I had a front blow out on my 03 FLHRC going around a curve on I-595 by the airport. It felt a little squirrely, but nothing major. I managed to ride it all the way to the red light at Stirling road, and it wasn't until I stopped that I finally realized there was a problem. And that was on a tubed tire.

My guess is it's worse if the rear goes out than the front.
Mine was the complete opposite, my rear went flat and I was changing lanes and felt the rear a little mushy. I let off the throttle and moved to the side of the road, yup caught a screw. Called AAA and they towed me to the nearest Harley dealer... I'm always leery of the front blowing..

Old 10-29-2014 | 05:26 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by _Daswine_
I think the big wheels look stupid, but this is my opinion. They are for show only and can not be safe to ride down the highway (imagine that 30inch tire catching a rut or pot hole at 75mph). But as we ourselves think that we have a sweet *** looking rides, they think the same way. To each their own.....
In general, doesn't a bigger wheel make it safer and easier running over obstacles?

Quick Reply: For you big wheel guys