General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you big wheel guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014 | 11:40 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by austinslider
I love the look of a big wheel RG. I think when it goes above a 23" the functionality and rideability is greatly reduced, but to each it's own. Trends come and go, it's nothing new...
I am in the same boat as you. I like up to a 23" wheel. MAYBE a 26" if it looked good. Any bigger than that and its WTF.... Nice to look at but too big. Would be interested in riding on though to see how it handles. More than a mile too.

Old 10-28-2014 | 02:36 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

When guys push the boundaries, the middle ground comes along for the ride. A few years ago, a 21" wheel on a touring bike was considered big. When a few guys started building 23"ers, they looked HUGE. But, by the time the first 30" builds appeared, a 23" build didn't look very big at all. Now, most guys don't even notice the difference between a 21 and a 23.

The same thing happened a couple of decades ago in the custom car world. Colorado Customs came out with a 20" wheel, and the self-proclaimed "old-skool" hot rodders laughed at the rubber band tires. Those same guys who are ordering their Challengers from the factory with 20" hoops now, and it takes a 26" or larger wheel on a passenger car to draw any notice. It wasn't a fad, it was a paradigm shift.

Old 10-28-2014 | 02:36 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm not a "big wheel guy", whatever that is. I customize bikes and hot rods for the same reason I've done it for over 35 years. I built this one because that's what I do. I ride it because it's enjoyable. And for the record, they ride and handle much, much better than a stock touring Harley.

The guy who is all worried about what the bagger owners are going to do when these bikes aren't "trendy" any longer can relax. When the mood strikes me, and I decide that I want something different, I'll either start a new project, or, tear this one back down, fire up my tig welder, and start over. And when the big wheel bikes are no longer getting all the magazine ink, the other guys can go back to posting about how the "stealers" are charging too much money for tire changes. lol

Old 10-28-2014 | 03:42 PM
sgod1100
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
seriously no go...150 hp...152 ft of tq and no go.... pull your scoot long side touch em off... and watch frickin no go....... really

I'll pull mine up to that one and make him look like the slow bagger it is...

Old 10-28-2014 | 04:43 PM
Krutch
Tourer

They'll be sorry when the front gets a flat at speed, or a blow out! Tire will come off before they can get control. If they ever get control back.

Old 10-28-2014 | 05:10 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
seriously no go...150 hp...152 ft of tq and no go.... pull your scoot long side touch em off... and watch frickin no go....... really
It's not about the HP - it's about riding the damn thing. I never see these big wheel show bikes going down the road - unless it's from the trailer to the parking lot.

Old 10-28-2014 | 05:13 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevada72

There are a lot of guys pouring money, blood, sweat, and tears into their rides on a blue collar wage. I see them all the time. And yet, some folks need to pull the rug out on them and insult their bikes. I never got that. Who's the insecure one? The guys doing the build or the jerk offs in the peanut gallery throwing insults?
Nothing I said was an insult. I have nothing but respect for the guys that build these bikes. But, my statement stands - they are built to show and not to ride on a daily basis.

Old 10-28-2014 | 06:16 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
... they are built to show and not to ride on a daily basis.
It would be interesting to see what the guys that, on this site, have to say about this statement. I bet none would say that they hated it and changed it back ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 10-28-2014 | 06:40 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr HOG
Nothing I said was an insult. I have nothing but respect for the guys that build these bikes. But, my statement stands - they are built to show and not to ride on a daily basis.
Yeah I know. I think I worded that poorly. I agree with your sentiments.

Old 10-28-2014 | 08:50 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

I love the big wheel look ...it is not a fad...lol.

Quick Reply: For you big wheel guys