General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Harley Dealers understand the Principle of what "INVENTORY" is????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Jake88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do Harley Dealers understand the Principle of what "INVENTORY" is????

Next time I call and ask for service I am gonna call and ask for "out of service" instead. They just called me and told me that it is going to be tomorrow at 2pm before they get the part?? My bike has been there since Tuesday at 4pm?? I just feel like everytime I talk to one service guy he doesnt work at the same place as the last service guy?? You know, there's no communication, coordination, but plenty of stupidification!! Damn, I just cant get this out from under my skin. I know this is little and stupid, but it's NOT. WE have let these dealers get away with this $hit for far too long!! I think I should get a free rental or something?? 3 days in the shop for a service and clutch cable?? STUPID!!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Do Harley Dealers understand the Principle of what "INVENTORY" is????

Feel for ya, I have two parts on back order. In my case I kind of new it was
going to happen because I ride a 2000 FLHT. I believe the process is tocarry
three previous years plus the year their in and keep rotation at flat level.
Good Luck and enjoy the road ahead.
Saint

Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no real need to go to the dealer for most of the stuff you mentioned. You can get cables, risers etc just as good from J & P as the ones from the dealer, and they WILL have them in stock.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
vegashd
Banned

Some of you that are Bitching need to get a life. I will go in business with any ofyou to open an INDY shop if you think you can do it better. Email me a business proposal and demographics. In fact, just email what you feel $$ wise it will take to open an INDY shop...not to mention open an INDY shop that carries the kind of inventory you want to open one with... cause like you said it is only a clutch cable, RIGHT?

What may be normal to you is not nomal to many. Who is to say that motor dissasembly took the last of the gaskets? They dont reorder typically till they are down to the last few. Why stock a stock cable when many people who have a cable go down want to replace them anyways? now you dont just have black but you also have three grades of stainless, then you have probblay 10 different lengths maybe? Thats 30 clutch cables youll need in stock for your bike.

That belt tension tool that is usedyour not probably going to find in stock ANYWHERE. They have them in the shop why do they need to stock more? They probably sell one every 2 months. No one does their own work.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Jake88
Tourer

I have a life. It's just sad that we are so accustomed to this that everyone thinks we are bitching? We just want common logic i.e. common sense to prevail? All I am trying to say is that this is our fault because we let these dealerships get away with it.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Jake88
Tourer

BTW, I never said I wanted to open an INDY shop for a damn clutch cable. Lighten up, heh?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd

Some of you that are Bitching need to get a life. I will go in business with any ofyou to open an INDY shop if you think you can do it better. Email me a business proposal and demographics. In fact, just email what you feel $$ wise it will take to open an INDY shop...not to mention open an INDY shop that carries the kind of inventory you want to open one with... cause like you said it is only a clutch cable, RIGHT?

What may be normal to you is not nomal to many. Who is to say that motor dissasembly took the last of the gaskets? They dont reorder typically till they are down to the last few. Why stock a stock cable when many people who have a cable go down want to replace them anyways? now you dont just have black but you also have three grades of stainless, then you have probblay 10 different lengths maybe? Thats 30 clutch cables youll need in stock for your bike.

That belt tension tool that is usedyour not probably going to find in stock ANYWHERE. They have them in the shop why do they need to stock more? They probably sell one every 2 months. No one does their own work.
Yeah...business would sure be a lot easier if it weren't for the damned customers.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

ORIGINAL: vegashd

Yeah...business would sure be a lot easier if it weren't for the damned customers.
I do not see ANY HD shops getting smaller. Must be a couple people who get along with the logic

Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain, Last fall, I had my wifes buike in to get some work done. Ordered the parts in advance, and took the bike in when they arrived, Dropped it off on Thursday, and went out of town till Monday. When I returned, I was told they would have the bike 5 more days, cause the Mechanic broke the fuel line, and they had to order the part.

How Stupid is that?? The Fuel line is a part on ALL models, its the same part regardless of model, other than the V-Rods.

THAT should have been in stock, and only costs 2.00 RETAIL...Sure they paid for it, but I paid also...they had the scoot for over a week to change out a set of Handlebars.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trouble is, most of the greedy-for-revenuecities, counties, and states in this country levy taxes on businesses for, among other things,the inventory they have on the shelf. If you want to keep your B&O taxes down you stock next to nothing in the parts room. Same thing for distributors.

Quick Reply: Do Harley Dealers understand the Principle of what "INVENTORY" is????