General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very lucky narrow escape today - slipped on old license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Very lucky narrow escape today - slipped on old license plate

On my way home from work today, close to home at the approach to a set of traffic lights, with one car standing at the line just in front of me, under braking the front wheel slipped almost right out from under the bike, almost going down on the right side and when it was almost down, I saved it with my foot and brought it upright coming to a stop just to the left of the trunk of the car stopped at the line.

When I arrived home, got off the bike and placed my weight on my right knee, it gave way and I fell to the floor – that got me worried.

I went to Emergency and they say that my right knee appears to be sprained and gave me an immobilizing knee brace, and if it’s not good after a week then it’s off to the orthopedic chap - to me it feels like it pops out of joint.

On the way to the hospital I drove past the spot and saw what caused the front wheel to slip out from under the bike – a sheet of black plastic the size of a cars license plate – probably a license plate holder.

Well, ......... pleased that my NT came out of it without a scratch but pissed that I'll not be riding for a couple of weeks, and there's probably only a couple of weeks riding left this season, plus my wife is nagging that I don't ride to work, only weekend recreational riding.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,082 Likes on 12,018 Posts

Glad you made it ok, gotta watch for that surface snot that lurks everywhere.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you're ok. Good reminder for all of us to keep an eye out for road debris.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts

I've had leaves that are on the road do the same thing, now that they are dropping off the trees like mad here I am very careful when I go around corners or come up to stop signs.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,253 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Also watch out when you come to stop lights or signs and do not try to stop in the middle of the lane as fluids seem to gather there.
Stepped in/on some diesel fluid once at a stop light and rest assured that crap is very slick.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:13 AM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you are ok. Glad the bike is ok, too. On a long ride out to the Seminole reservation yesterday my concern was, besides cars and trucks, sand and gravel at tight turns.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

Right after a rain I had the same thing happen with a plastic bag on the pavement while making a left turn. 1 second of terror!

Old 10-19-2014, 01:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Could have been worse, hope the knee heals up quickly!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-19-2014, 02:53 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I hit a film of coolant going through a right turn. Slipped some and I smelled it after I went through.
It was invisible.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Hate to admit it, but I'm human. I was all loaded up for a nice afternoon ride down south. Forgot my keys so I headed back and parked in the driveway at an odd angle. After racing back out I threw the bike to the right to put up the kickstand a bit too far and over center she started to go. I pushed hard to keep it upright and heard a "pop" so I just leaned it over the rest of the way. Pulled my leg out from under it, (engine guard thankfully), and stared at my foot. Wiggles ok, up and down ok, left and right ok. I was able to put weight on it gently so i figured it was a sprained ankle. A riding buddy helped me get it up and back in the garage. I drove to the ER and limped in gently. After I took off my boot i could see the bone almost piercing the skin. Broke my heel bone in half. They screwed it back together and sent me home. That was almost 4 weeks ago and I'm now able to put 25-50% weight on it. Late next week I get a walking boot so I'm quickly on the mend. The nice riding weather is leaving so it will be back to the heavy gear. As for the bike..........small scratch on one of the pipes and scratches on the engine guard.

My lesson learned..........don't be in a hurry! Guess I'll be hangin out here a little more reading for a few weeks.

Hey Ron, hope your knee turns out ok.

Last edited by lownslow; 10-19-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: adding

Quick Reply: Very lucky narrow escape today - slipped on old license plate