General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Loyalty

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,117 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Dealer Loyalty

How many folks feel loyalty to their local dealer?? I feel I am somewhat loyal, just because I get pretty good service, got a retty good deal on my bike, the salesman still remembers my name when I come in to look around and all that good stuff. But...check these prices out from Zanotti's I am going to mini-apes on my SG and thanks to Carltex and others for tips and the part numbers I decided to go for it, but, back to the prices

Clutch cable from dealer 35.45, Zanotti's 25.31. Brake line form dealer 76.00, Zanotti's 49.52. Handlebars from dealer 57.00, Zanotti's 41.76. Idle and throttle cables from dealer 22.00, Zanotti's 14.12. Thats 212.45 from the dealer and 144.83 from Zanotti's. Now I'm not trying to sell Zanotti's, but I am wondering why the local wouldn't even try to meet their prices??

Thats a very big savings, now I am wondering when the dealer gets their nose out of joint when you go in and show them the difference, why can't they do the same?? Now I am doubting dealer loyalty.

Any of ya'll feel the same, or is a dealer, "just a dealer"??

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Loyalty

I like my dealer. I have a good relationship with the service manager, sales manager and the owner. I can ask for a discount without showing them anything and have got it so far.
Hampton Roads HD in Yorktown Va. Also have a decent service department!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Radical
Tourer

I have no dealer loyalty unless I'm treated right. If the prices are fair, even a little higher, and I'm getting good service I'll go to the dealer. If they treat me like a number and I get lousy service I walk. I don't mind paying a little extra to get great service and not hassle with a return if needed when buying over the netbut I won't be treated like dog **** at the dealer when I'm spending my hard earned money. Some dealers get it and some don't. Most of the dealers around here have 20% off sales sometime during the year so the discount isn't the most important. I go back to my dealer and all but once they've given me a discount without a hassle. They know that next month someone else will have a sale and they may lose a customer not only for that one purchase but for the future as well. Competition is a good thing.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
squid
Banned

The prices for aftermarket are good,but today,I also have to figure shipping prices to be fair.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
corgi
Road Master

I like my dealer. they treat me fairly, and as a result have purchased 3 harley's over the past couple years. It's a 140 mile round trip, and two other dealers are closer. Fair treatment and customer service. what else could you ask for?

Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't call it loyalty, but I like to support local businesses when it makes sense. This is kind of like the earlier thread on discounts. For things over $100, if I can't get the discount at the dealer, I get it off the web. Maybe some day we'll be ordering the bike off the web for 20% less.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,117 Likes on 357 Posts

sounds about right, I'll still do business with my dealer, but wont hesitate to go elswhere for a better deal. We all gotta watch our pockets, lord knows everyone is reaching into them!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD of N.TX does good service, and their prices are not that bad (tho they will put all kinds of parts on a new bike to get their profits up if you just buy off the floor.).

Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If I owned a dealership I wouldn't give you a penny's discount. I would be certain though that the quality of servicethe employees in mydealershipgave you was better than goodenough to keep you coming back as a loyal customer.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So far I'm loyal to my dealer. I get great service, MSRP plus some perks on bikes and a good discount on parts and merchandise. I have no complaints at all. Plus, they have free popcorn and coffee, and many free food and entertainment events throughout the year.

Everyone knows my name and treats me with respect. I couldn't ask for more.
BTW, it's Ted's HD in Alton, IL.

Jim

Quick Reply: Dealer Loyalty