General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMA Press Release on CDC Mission Creep

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 PM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Press Release on CDC Mission Creep

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/am...creep-release/

Tell us what you think below!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Valid points. I remember thinking that they were way off the reservation using budget for gun control, a political issue.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,478 Likes on 5,666 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Valid points. I remember thinking that they were way off the reservation using budget for gun control, a political issue.
Agreed.

Sadly, this will get little attention, as so many forum members already live in nanny-control helmet law states or countries. We as a community are getting desensitized due to this. Based on population, I'd say over half the United States already has helmet laws for consenting adults.

<--- I wear a legit DOT 1/2 helmet at least 75% of the time. I get it. It is safer with a helmet. There is no logical dispute. I don't want to be TOLD to wear one.

Pandora's box... Wait for it... When the gummint is done with this, full face helmets will end up being the only legal option, in all 50 states.

Sooner or later the Feds will go ballistic on this item and withhold highway funding for non full-face helmet law states, just like they did with seat belts, the drinking age, and the BAC levels for DUI... You all know how that ended. It will take another 10 years, but you heard it here first.

Could the current and former territories of Her Majesty please stay out of this... We are talking about the U.S. only.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

It's called empire building. Most governmental bodies do it. Both here in the States and elsewhere. look at the UN or the world court.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Hopefully Neon vests and leg pads chest protectors will also be included. No more cuts or outlaw looking bikes either. Close down all independent shops make emissions mandatory and outlaw all aftermarket exhausts and all modified parts for engines etc.

This is why i belong to my local ABATE and the MRF i'm not going down without a fight. Not sure where you live but we need every single job and small business owners we can get. I have brought this exact statement up to my local and federal politicians and they agree. Bikers spend boatloads of money on modifying there bikes with aftermarket parts. It wont stop at helmets or guns progressives are never satisfied. Sadly most in our society today don't speak up about anything. Theres power in numbers join the MRF!

Last edited by nick@nite; 10-11-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The AMA is correct. Sadly even on this forum there are those that think helmets should be mandated.

I'm an ATGATT guy but it's my choice. I loathe helmet laws and seatbelt laws for adults. Kids kind of on the fence.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:43 AM
RickLB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AMA got it right. I wear a helmet as a choice that I made and I don't think any one should be mandated to wear them.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:31 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a helmet whenever I ride. I also happen to agree that the CDC is not the right organization to be discussing helmet safety and rider education. This is not a disease issue. More Government does not fix the problem, proper oversight and management of existing programs will help.

Today, if the president can not change the laws by lobbying for legislation, he can do it through bureaucratic rules and regulations, just see what he has done by further empowering the EPA, IRS, FBI, NSA and the CDC. This is not the country that I grew up in. Where is Ronald Reagan (of Blessed Memory) when we need him. Heck, I'd rather have Harry S Truman or Dwight D. Eisenhower back in the Oval Office. All three were honorable, honest men who believed in the Constitution of The United States of America, unlike the current person in the Oval Office. May G-d help us. In the meantime...

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 10-12-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RickLB
The AMA got it right. I wear a helmet as a choice that I made and I don't think any one should be mandated to wear them.
This is my position as well. The CDC should do something about diseases. Ebola comes to mind.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Whether you wear a helmet or not or believe in helmet laws or not is really irrelevant to to issue here. How does anyone, anywhere, justify the Centers for Disease Control sticking their nose in helmet laws. Since when is wearing or not wearing a helmet a disease. (and for the wise guys, no, it is not a mental disorder not wearing a helmet). It seems like our current government's nanny state mentality has no limits and all agencies want to get in on the act.