General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a local crackdown on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 AM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: a local crackdown on pipes

ORIGINAL: rodder37

How do the cops check the sound? Do they have a device that measures the sound? I've never seen it done. Just curious.
Wellp, here in WI the state boys will check the db. What they don't tell you is that of all our State Patrol, there are only something like 5 of 'em actually trained in how to use the equipment, which kinda makes making the tix stick hard at times.

Wolf, it's kinda like the tinted windows feud we had a few years back

Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... the world is crazy - everything is being so wussafied

Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

I have no problem with this, I wish we had LEO outside a tavern when you see a logging truck loaded outside and the driver inside. Maybe I shouldn't start here but I'm willing to bet most people in there can't drive legally and are a parents worst nightmare.

ORIGINAL: cadillac

I know there are a lot of Leo's here, and I truely mean no offense to anyone doing their job. But time and time again I have seen (here in rural Iowa) where the local town police & county police will target and mark vehicles parked in the vicinity of taverns, and sit and wait for them to leave to pull them over. Soon the town gets a reputation for being a "ticket town". And business to the taverns drops. When that happens, a LOT of local business's suffer as well. Ive seen entire towns lose their taverns, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc and the town literally dies. I do NOT advocate nor tolerate drinking and driving. I hope this loud muffler ticketing frenzy doesnt do to Stillwater what HAS been done to other towns.

Bob

Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
whitetrash
Banned

Why not? They give truckers tickets for using their "Jake brakes". Too loud is obnoxious.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
squid
Banned

Good,take the cards out of your spokes,and grow up.All you "look at me" azzholes.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wont be long,,,, and our bikes wll sound like the Jetsons, spcae car

bberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,695 Likes on 2,122 Posts

One of the problems is that Stillwater is an olderpopular river town and weekend destination for many people in the cities (20-30 miles away). The main street has multi-story brick buildings with many outdoor seating areas, and art galleries so they draw large crowds of "tourists" on the weekends. When the bikes or thundering stereos get in the narrow areas it's like cracking the throttle under the bridge. The town also has the only river bridge for 10 miles so the traffic get heavy and slow moving. Then add the "cruisers" that go back and forth along that stretch to be "seen" and you can understand the issue the city is facing. Agree or disagree with their noise policy something had to be done. Everything funnels to this area.

I run thunderheaders and when I drove the stretch it is very loud. I have also been a pedestrian and you can't hear the person next to you many times.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These threads alwayscrack me up, the Honda car guys came to my shop complaining about theirnoise tickets and cried about those Harleys getting by with it, the Harley guyscried about those Honda car guysgetting by with it. Do you notice how it's always the other guy that should be caught even though both are illegal?

Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

Peacemaker pipes are the way of the future!

http://www.peacemakersexhaust.com/ne...acemakers.html

Thats what I run on my Ultra!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 PM
swenjj
Advanced

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

These threads alwayscrack me up, the Honda car guys came to my shop complaining about theirnoise tickets and cried about those Harleys getting by with it, the Harley guyscried about those Honda car guysgetting by with it. Do you notice how it's always the other guy that should be caught even though both are illegal?
i didnt start the thread to have it like that, i just want to know if they can just stop me for no other reason to check my pipes for baffles, mine are drilled i guess, it isnt loud at all unless i crack the throttle, but can they just set up checkpoints and pull cycles over is what i was wondering,
reading this forum i see that it looks like they do that, go to where cycles meet up and give tons of tickets for any little thing

Quick Reply: a local crackdown on pipes