General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever get chased by the cops when you were a kid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever get chased by the cops when you were a kid?

I grew up in PA and we used to ride our bikes on the roads illegally.The cops used to chase us. We even learned to ride "side saddle" to fake them out so they would think we were pushing the bike.

The cops got to know me and would watch for me. One time when I was about 12 years old, I was out riding alone early in the morning and a cop spotted me crossing the road. He was a little distance from me. He came for me and I gunned it. I took off through thewoods at full speed, almost killing myself a couple of times and I got to my house before the cop got there. I stuck the bike in the garage, ran into the house, stripped my clothes off, threw on a pair of PJ's and messed up my hair.A minute later the doorbell rang. I answered with "sleepy" eyes and he asked me if it was me on the road. I told him that I just woke up. He suspected it was me and he was really pissedthat he couldn't prove it. I had to avoid him for years! I was glad he didn't ask to see the bike because it was really hot.

I got away with it that time and many others, but I have to tell you I still get "pins and needles" in the back of my tongue every time I see a police car while riding or driving!

Man, those were the days! They were the early years of riding and they are fun to think about from time to time...

Any similar stories???

Old 04-11-2007, 01:37 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Default RE: Ever get chased by the cops when you were a kid?

It depends on the Statute of Limitations......

Old 04-11-2007, 01:38 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

It depends on the Statute of Limitations......
LOL--I assure you that they are looong past. Let's hear it!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We used to escape through the almond orchards...we could make it through the ruts dug for irrigating the orchards on our dirt bikes, but cars couldn't.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:58 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

i do the chasing

Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

i do the chasing
Not the same as catching

Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet
I got away with it that time and many others,
Man, those were the days! They were the early years of riding and they are fun to think about from time to time...

Any similar stories???
Funny you should ask...Last Saturday while dirt bike riding in Barstow, we were sittin round talkin bout the same thing. Many in the group are in the chasin and catchin business now so it did get a good laugh when I started tellin of ditchin the Cops when I was a Kid. Similar to yer story, I was bout 13 on a pumped up Honda 100...you know, punched out 90 with a cam, straight pipe, knobbiesand a fork brace. We lived near the oil fields in Long Beach back in the 60's and I had to cross the road to get there...Hell, I was all over the neighborhood roads poppin wheelies and such...it was a different time back then. But one day a Motor Officer ridin a big Harley saw me. Well off in the dirt I went, but lookin over my shoulder, that Dude was givin it a whirl...Yep, there he was, fishtailin and kickin up dust. My out was to hit the hoop-te-doos knowin there was a also a gully that I figured would hold him up. I figured right...thats where he stopped...butI never looked back and just kept wailin to the far end of the open area where I literally hid out in some tumble weeds till I figured it was safe to hightail it home for dinner... Damn, I love Ridin!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chased by the cops? Only about 5000 times between the ages of 8 and 35.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior

I only ran one time...and I wasn't actually at the controls.

My beater of a pickup died on the road one winter evening. I walked about a mile and found a payphone and called a bud. He hopped on his Seca 750 to come get me. Somewhere along the road he lost the extra helmet that he grabbed for me. It was late and we decided to chance it. We were ripping through the back road when we pass John Q. Law. My bud (no license anyway) sees the brake lights and rolls on the throttle. I am just along for the ride. We were well ahead of the cop when we went in too hot into a 90 left. We did a nice somewhat graceful lowside and slid across some ladies grass. SPLASH right into a lake. Neither Shawn nor the bike gets wet, and he pops up, fires up the bike and yells, "Hide, I will be back later" and tears off just as the cop rounds the corner. So, here I am in four feet of water, hiding in the reeds, for three hours as the cops pattrol up and down the street shining their spotlight. Not long after I was in the water, one cop actually walked down to the edge of the water and shined his light in the reeds and gave me the old "I see you, might as well comeout of there" routine, but I stayed as low in the water as I could and he walked off. This is in Orlando, so it was not crazy cold maybe in the high 40's, but hypothermia was definately setting in. Just about the time I decided I had to get out of those weeds, I notice the cop parked a few hundred yards away with the lights off. So I wait some more. Eventually, he drives off. My buds must have been watching because they roll up in a pickup and I wade outta the water and jump in the back and high-tail it outta there. It took a long time and a lot of chemical enhancement for the shaking to stop.

That was my only time I ever crashed without a helmet and the only time I ever ran.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 AM
LimeNine9r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, still can't believe we got away.
nauseous feeling knowing I commited a felony

Quick Reply: Ever get chased by the cops when you were a kid?