General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???

I know there was a similar post recently, but I need clarification...

I'm going out on a limb here. I think a lot of guys don't like the OCC guys because they are jealous of their success. But I also hear a lot of guys criticizing the bikes they build. Is that jealousy too? What is the problem with their bikes? They seem well thought out and innovative. I don't think that a flashy chopper is quite my style but I can still appreciate them. I think their Spiderman bike, for example is a great looking bike. The Yankee bike was cool too.

I like watching the design process and the building of the bikes. What do you like or dislike about their bikes?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???

Hate to disagree but every man's work is subjectfor critics. Much more if it implicates an artistic approach or taste to put it in some way...

I personally think that SpyderMan sucked big time, yes it took a lot of work but it is one fugly ride. I liked the Caterpillar one much better.

I also disagree with you on the fact that criticism mean envy.

Is there something I did not disagree...

Peace.

Mimo.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the show and still watch it. Lets face it. How many motorcycle shows are there on TV? Not many so I'm gonna get in all I can. As for OCC's bikes. Some I like and some I don't care much for. I mostly enjoy Paul Sr. old school style over his son's modern day custom design. People also bitch about the quality of their bikes. Ok, lets get it all out! How many people come on these forums and bitch about their Harley's overheating, transmission wining, this broke, that chrome cracked, speedo doesn't work, injectors cause bike to stall, and just recently some of the new softails are catching fire from an electrical short going into the oil line! If yer gonna point a finger at OCC's quality there appears to be more fingers pointing back at Harley's list of problems.

Jealousy? I think you are correct DenimStreet.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Good points Nadil! I think one thing to consider with OCC (or WCC, Big Dog, or any of the custom builders) is that when you are paying easily triple what a Harley costs, one would expect better quality I guess. Maybe that's something hard to fathom for most of us though. We're paying $20-30k for bikes (when you add all the different 'upgrades' like chrome, motor builds, etc.), which is a lot of money, but when you double that price for an OCC or WCC bike, that's alot! For the people that can afford to throw down that kindof dough, it might not matter too much if it was just 'hammered together' to incorporate a certain look.

Personally I don't care either way. I haven't seen much of their new episodes, not because I don't like them, but more because I don't konw when they come on anymore, and I'm too lazy to do a search on my DVR!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Nadil
Road Warrior

You are correct Cryptoboy. One would expect better outta a bike that costs 3 times that of a Harley however one thing to consider is that Harley has been doing it for over 100 years and a lot of these builders are only a few years old doing radically new and strange designs. Some work, some don't. Building a custom motorcycle from scratch can easily be a hit or miss.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did some work on one of there bikes it was a brand new one. I don't know who put this one together but when it came to the wiring it was about the worst piece of crap Ive ever seen. This bike had less then a 100 miles on it and the guy that owned it couldn't get more then about 6 or 8 miles with out blowing a fuse. We pulled one section of wire out of it that had 5 or 6 taped up splices in it in a 2 foot piece of wire and there were strands of wire sticking out of connectors all over inside the headlight shell and shorting out.The rest of the bike wasn't to bad and it did ride goodbut a $40,000+ motorcycle with that poor of workmanship is Bull Sh-t. For less then half the money and some time you could build a lot better bike and really have some thing to be proud of.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:10 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw the Snap-onbike at Sturgis a couple of years ago....VERY nice bike!

Always liked O.C.C.

Alot of what you hear is jealousy. Same reason why everyone is quick to jump all over Billy, or Jessie James when he won't drop everything and sign a T-shirt.

Joe

Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an OCC bike in my local Indy shop all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. The main reason is exacly what JB said. The electrical is terrible. The shop ended up rewiring the whole thing from scratch. Most of the other things on the bike work well, but they are bolt-on parts. The motor is a pre-built S&S, the brakes are good quality PMproducts, the transmissionis aBaker 6 speed. So they use quality parts, but when it comes down to actually "constructing" things, I am not impressed. The welds sucked almost as bad as the wiring.

This is a regular OCC bike that anyone can buy. Not one of the special TV bikes. Maybe the ones that Paulie and Vinnie actually get their hands on, are better, I do not know. Their name is on it tho, and that is the important thing. For the amount that was spent on that bike, I am not impressed.

As for the show, I refuse to watch it. I will not glorify someone acting like an *** by calling it comedy. If I wanted to watch someone yell and scream, I would invite my father-in-law over. He has been barred from my house for years.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

When the show 1st came on I would watch it each week. But it soon became the same ole same ole every week, we have a deadline and we cant meet it, alot of hollering and fussing (drama) and at the last minute everything would fall into place, was the same ole thing every week and it got old fast for me.

The next thing I dont really care for...........it seems they use almost the same frame in each show.......so all the bikes look about the same, just a different theme, or color , but almost always the same look. I just started back watching the show again in the last month and I'm trying to keep an open mind lol

wayne

Old 04-11-2007, 07:19 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Cookie cutter bikes,and probably jealousy.Some people are just happy complaining.

Quick Reply: Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???