General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???

It's all been said re OCC and pretty much on target. You gotta remember, anytime you build a custom you're exploring new territory and will run into problems. A lot of these problems take a while to surface. That's why it takes HD a while before they come out with a new model, and even then you're going to have problems the first year or two. Imaging trying to develop a new bike from scratch in 2 to 3 weeks, even when you're using good parts, you're still dealing with the interface issues and all. The bikes you see on TV are for show and corporate spectacles. But the bikes they build for normal people should be held to a higher standard. If they truly have the poor workmanship issues I've heard about on these posts, then it's too bad and buyer beware.

Frankly, I doubt that that's where these guys make most of their money, so you know they can't be concentrating on those builds. And finally, what pi**s me off the most is I still like watching the shows, but now the first run new shows are on the TLC channel instead of Discovery in HD. So when I record the new shows they're no longer in HD. I suppose it was another $$ decision. The reason I like watching is to see how the money is changing these guys. The new shops, the new houses, the new toys. It happened so fast it's fascinating to see how these guys have changed.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Wayward Son

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

ORIGINAL: Wayward Son

I used to like Jesse James. I thought his stuff was the bomb, when he first started to become famous. Before monster garage and all that. Don't get me wrong, I still have respect for the man's talent. But when WCC gear started showing up everywhere (Walmart) I knew that he had sold out. That's when I lost respect for him as a person. His motto ought to be 'anything for a buck'.

It is a 2 edged sword. On one hand I like the charitable activities these guys (WCC, OCC) do. In Particular I liked the work that OCC did with Kyle Petty. On the other hand, these guys are blatent sellouts. I mean pez dispensers, come on. Nothin like keepin it real.

I just pray to god there is never such a thing as Kendall Johnson pez dispenser.
Wayward Son: There is a difference between "idealism" and "honesty". Let's be honest now....If someone offered you a few million dollars to stick your mug on a lunch box and other items at Wal-Mart, how fast would you jump at it??!! (I know my answer already)[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=hia.gif][sm=hia.gif][sm=hia.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif]
Well, if I was already a multimillionare from doing what I was good at, I think I would keep my name on the mc parts. I hear what you are saying, hard to dodge the money, but I like to think that some things are not for sale.
I want to make an announcement here and now....MY FACE IS FOR SALE IF YOU HAVE THE MILLIONS TO PAY ME!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,487 Likes on 4,380 Posts

Regardingthe show... it'sALL about showbiz and sometimes (but rarely anymore) is it interesting.

Regardingthe bikes... for Caterpillar et al showrooms, I like most of their themes and interpretations. But they don't look rideable, and when the Miller Welding bike was in town here I was distressed at the quality of the welds and the substandard bike controls.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Tnicean
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3dynaP

The yelling and fighting turned me off.
And the artificial deadlines! I watched a few shows. I never watch anymore. I don't care about them.
Tnicean

Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

OCC isentertaining,my wife loves watching that show with me,and our son gets in on it too sometimes.I love pointing out certain aspects of the interplay between Paul Sr and Paul Jr to him

Funny thing is that I rarely watch any shows on TV,but somehow find the time for OCC...

Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

When I watch OCC I'm not looking for a cerebral story line for each and every show,heck a lot of the episodes are pretty much the same thing but that doesn't bother me,It's my time to lay back,veg out and take it easy.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges,but all things considered I enjoy watching OCC a helleva lot more than seeing that movie "Wild Hogs"

Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jake88

You said tool.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] [sm=happybounce.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: T 3

I know it's comparing apples to oranges,but all things considered I enjoy watching OCC a helleva lot more than seeing that movie "Wild Hogs"

Paul Sr. over Marisa Tomei? No chance in hell I'd ever pick Paul in that one.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

i liked southern choppers i believe it was called had gary in it that has passed on unfortuntly.occ is crap

Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I like their theme bikes, don't know about there "production bikes" , never met them, so no thought one way or the other on that. But I can't watch the show any longer. I am not into drama. I would like to see a motorcycle show, just with the build, not the politics. JMHO

Quick Reply: Orange County Choppers--What's the problem???