General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$98.50 a piece? Making this shhit up as they go along!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $98.50 a piece? Making this shhit up as they go along!

I justpurchased a set ofMetzeler Whitewalls over the Internet and made an inquiry over at one of our local dealerships as to how much it'd cost to have them put on my bike? The first thing they tell me is that if I didn't purchase the tires from them that they really didn't like putting them on. So I asked them, "What are you saying? You will with some reservation? Or you won't? No big deal either way. But which one is it?" The guy goes back and forth and finally tells me that they would do it at a cost of $98.50 plux tax per tire. WHAT!? $98.50, are you nuts, I'm thinking to myself. I then went on to ask him if that was a standard price given to anyone that came in with tires purchased elsewhere? I only mentioned this because of the fact that he went back and forth on the deal before giving me a price. It didn't seem set to me. He said that it was a standard price for all non-dealer purchased tires. Needless to say, I declined having them put the tires on my bike.

My curiousity being what it is, I elected to call the dealership the following day to make this same inquiry. I know most of the guys down there and can tell who I'm talking to via the phone. This time, a different person in service took the call. I told him I had two tires that I needed put on my bike. Within about half a second, he said, "Not a problem. Bring them in and we'll take care of you. It'll be $75.00 for the pair given thatyou bought them elsewhere." $75.00 bucks? For both? Tax included? "Yes, Sir." Now I'm pissed!

Armed with this information, I then elected to head on down to the dealership and have a chat with the guy that runs the place (I know him fairly well). I wanted to hear it from him 'first hand'why the freak his service department personnel are quoting customers drastically different prices for the exact same service!!! Upon explaning my situation, he was at a complete loss as to why I was quoted the initial price which I was for said proposed service? I went on to tell him that - make no mistake - I am not the type of consumer to be taken advantage of in such a fashion. It was obvious when I was talking to the service guy that he was pulling these prices out ofthin air. Upon the conclusion of our meeting, I walked out of the dealership - some 90 minutes later - with the tires to be put on FREE OF CHARGE at my convenience coupled with a $200.00 gift card.

Yeah, I know. There are those of you out there that think I was a jerk for doing this. But I'll tell you what, as a business owner myself, when I walk through someone else's door, I expect certain things to take place. Those being acknowledgment, courtesy, accuracy, and honesty. I don't go for that half-azzed service crap; like so many have been conditioned to take these days. In my book, when you start asking people for money, you'd better have your act together each and every time.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $98.50 a piece? Making this shhit up as they go along!

You can always go the DIY way... Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changing rack with MC adaptor for around $100. I bought one myself...

http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/harb...mctirechanger/

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I went to a dealer and asked about buying Avon Venoms. I was told they only sell the Dunlops. I asked what they'd charge to install Avons if I got them elsewhere andI was told that they only install tires they sell. I bought a bead breaker and a couple tire spoons from J&P and did the tire swap myself. Glad I did, because I found out just how easy it is to do, and I know everything got put back together properly, because I did it. I think some of these dealers make far too much money and have forgotten all about service.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's amazing. I need to take a class from you. You are my new hero!

rob

Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You must have a lot of time on your hands to actually go to the dealer with this stuff(or they're right next door). I'mthe consumate customer service nightmare if I don't get what I paid for, but Itry to pick my battles. If I try to fight everthing thatpi$$esme off, I'd be dead already.[8D]In a case like this if I didn't like the quote, I'd move on and find one I'd go with.

As a side note.....I could see why a dealer might not want to put tires on they got somewhere else. If there is a problem with thetires later, the person(I'm not saying you)will be going back to the dealer looking for them to fix it.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Phil

You can always go the DIY way... Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changing rack with MC adaptor for around $100. I bought one myself...

http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/harb...mctirechanger/

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542
I've thought about that. This latest scenario makes me want to take a closer (and more serious) look at that type of purchase. Appreciate the links.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am the same way. I don't just go to one place and take what they say or got at face value. I shop around and price out everything before making a decision. Also this board is GREAT for arming yourself with knowledge.

Rax

Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
guitarman777
Road Captain

That's not being a jerk; that's being of sound mind. And helping a dealership run sound and fair business isn't a bad bonus either. You could have been a total punk to the first guy you talked to, but you didn't. You could have told the manager to shove his dealership where the sun doesn't shine, but you didn't. You were forthright and honest about your frustration with the spit-sorry service you were receiving. There really are dealerships out there being run by honest, decent people who'll go to whatever lengths necessary to please their customers; you just need to stick out your neck a little to get it. Hopefully, the first guy you talked to will receive a talking-to of his own in order to get his butt into shape. Kudos, man! Enjoy those tires and the gift card!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: petemac

You must have a lot of time on your hands to actually go to the dealer with this stuff(or they're right next door).
The dealership in question is extremely convenient. I can literally be at the dealership, pick something up, and beback in my office within all of 20-30 minutes. And 'this stuff' (as you term it) is something which I take very serious. I just feel that there are no excuses for the types of **** poor service being handed down by oh so many in the service industry these days. If folks don't take the time nor make the effort to say, "I'm not going to take this sshit", then guess what - it's a perpetual cycle of crap.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go thru a front and 2 rear tires a year, at least. It doesn't make sense to not do it myself... Besides, I got the tire changer with a coupon for $40 plus the mc adaptor for $50. It paid for itself with the 1st tire change!

Quick Reply: $98.50 a piece? Making this shhit up as they go along!