Gear and Other Items For Sale Helmets, gloves, leathers, etc. and any non-motorcycle related ads. Please read the rules for posting in this section.

FRAUD / SCAM = Be Aware of this scam

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default FRAUD / SCAM = Be Aware of this scam

I have been selling here on the Forum for some time. Well I had my 2004 up for sale Last Aug and it sold then I posted a bunch of extra parts for sale here on the forum.

I got hit by this scam back in Aug and it has happened twice again on parts I have for sale here. I really do not understand the Scam but it involves the buyer wanting your item and offering full price.. Here is the Text I got ( I listed a number to receive texts from in all my adds) I have no idea what would actually happen IF I were to follow thru on this scam? I had something like this happen several years ago and the buyer get me tied up with emails??? I finally just stopped. On this scam - they supposedly send you a check - you deposit it and wait for it to clear??? I have 'heard' that sometimes a check may "Appear' to clear then Later come back as a bad check - you can get hit with fees and if the item is gone.. you out that also.. SO< if you get a text or response like this... just ignore it... ITS FAKE..

This area code is Texas, two weeks ago I got the same scam and it was from FL I told this guy... You need a new scam - your buddie from FL tried this last week... Never heard back.. I did try to call but of course it never goes thru - If you do call , be sure to Block your number with *67 - no need to give them a good number on their caller ID

1-682-628-6207: Thanks for your quick response I'm okay with the price & condition,i plan to send the money in a bank check and USPS it to you, then I will arrange for a pick up after check cleared at your bank.. I'll need your Full Name and Delivery Address or a p.o box for the check to be issue out to you, i await your response and after the check clear my movers will come for pick up asap.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 AM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 74 Posts

Most scams are easy to recognize by their sentence structure and words they use such as "i await your response".

Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I sell a lot of stuff on Craig's List, and same deal there. The emails I receive also refer to whatever I'm selling as "the item". Here's my own little disclaimer that I add to the bottom of all my ads. I've even had buyers compliment me on it!! LOL!!

**** NOTE: I will only sell to the actual buyer with cash in hand and not a "representative" because you are out of town, or out of the country, or just can't be there for any reason. I will sell for cash only, not a cashiers check, not PayPal, and I will not give you my bank account info for this transaction. This little disclaimer should keep the email scammers from thinking I would actually fall for their story.****

Old 12-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Dragonback
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes beware sellers: other notes to notice if they state they'll pay you with paypal then to watch your Spam or Junk mail as "paypal" will send you a note stating that payment has been made but on "hold" for both of your protection... this is BS... Firstly no mail from PayPal should go to Spam or Junk folder as Paypal is a legit site. Another note is the email address that it comes from xxxxx@accountant.com this is a big one as ANY mail coming from PayPal will end in PayPal.com not something-else.com. also log into your account and verify money is there.. no such thing as them putting it on hold and you cant see it. and another Big nono is never click on a link that they give you in an email.. that link can either redirect you to a fake site (not harmful) but can also send you to a site tat will download and/or install malware on your computer (more harmful) .. basically just use common sense...

Old 12-17-2015, 07:28 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Had this tried on me a couple years ago. Cashier's check I received via FedEx looked legit. Even took it to bank to inspect before it was deposited and they said it looked good. Dropped it into my account and PRESTO! five days later it bounced like a bad kidney. But not before the total sum had been credited to my account THEN WITHDRAWN. This is the tricky part. The bank had examined the check, credited it to my account on the third day after deposit then after five days withdrew the amount after the "money" sat in my account for two days. These couple days are where the scammer tries to get you. The "Buyer" tried to complete transaction before five days and I thankfully said NO.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I just let them send the check to the local police department. Figure they can do what they wish with it....