FXR Models Discuss the FXR Models in here

Oil dripping from bottom of bike (FXR)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 07:56 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

It doesn't have twin cams. I think you mean cylinders. Top end gaskets are not awful. Need to figure out where.

This may be a job he can do with a manual

Old 09-03-2024, 08:41 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,971 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikiel1010
Thank you EVERYONE for the advice! It was just as you said, "sumping" from sitting. Started again Sunday night and no oil BUT we have much bigger issues! When the bike started, he took it for a ride down the road and after a short period, it would only stay running with the choke held in. He had to baby it back to the garage after jumping it. Got it back and kept it running with the choke. It seems to be a carb issue which makes sense since it's been sitting for quite a period of time and although we drained all of the bad/old fuel out and put in fresh fuel, I'm thinking it's possible for some of the old gas to have "crystalized". Tried to spray carb cleaner but it didn't help. Most likely needs the carb taken apart, cleaned, etc...BUT while running it, flames started coming out of the back of the tailpipes with very black smoke. We thought it was just fuel burn off but I think with the flames, it's more. When starting it, it didn't seem to crank like it should. While it was running, he tried to disconnect the ground from the battery so he could test the alternator (he learned that years ago). Well.....when he did, smoke started pouring out from the Voltage Regulator (insert sigh). He immediately shut it off. After doing so, we also noticed that there was a small amount of oil coming from the top of one of the twin cams.......assume this means a cracked head gasket? Needless to say, this beauty is turning into more of a headache than we anticipated. I'm also wondering if the spark plugs I got for it were correct. I looked up the part number on Amazon and purchased the ones that had the correct fitment for my bike. Just looking for some continued good advice because we've already put a lot into it. I've been told due to the oil coming from the top of the cam, it's a complete tear down job and that is NOT something we will be interested in doing if it's expensive.

On a small gas engine like a 25HP boat motor, all it takes is one bowl of fuel dried out will plug jets.

And carb spray shot into a running engine does not go thru the jets.

And rarely is any additive you put in a tank going to help. And if you go strong in the tank, your going to damage other items.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:02 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,914 Likes on 823 Posts

How far upstate are you? I was originally from Watertown, Most Communities have the basic rider course available at the local college. But the classes are probably over the farther north you are.
Dont get to discouraged on that classic FXR, that engine is very robust and fairly easy to work on.
You will need to purchase a factory service manual to know how to fix, repair or troubleshoot.
Starting With the carburetor its needs to be rebuilt, the gummy varnish from the old fuel has plugged up orifices.
do you have any independent motorcycle repair places nearby? chances are a dealer won’t even look at the old bike.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Nikiel1010
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We are about an hour south of Buffalo. We do have classes at our local college that I'm thinking of taking. I did actually buy a clymer manual for that year/model bike and it has helped a LOT. Yep, the gummy varnish is exactly what our friend said. I'm going to get a carb rebuild kit. Unfortunately, we do not have any local shops that will look at it due to the year BUT we do have someone who works on these all the time that we are going to reach out to and see if he'd be willing to tackle it.

Old 09-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Do you have an ultra sonic cleaner? If not read up on them. Though if you can read the jet numbers, soak in cleaner or replace.

​​​​ Leaks evaluate how bad,and if you can ride it some like that.

It it only runs with choke out,you need to address that along with volt reg

Old 09-03-2024, 09:18 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

Probably around like Olean? Go Bills! If you were closer to Watertown, I have a couple buddies that work out of their own garage up there.
The Clymer will help with a few things, it’s actually a really generic manual , so I suggest to get on eBay and look for an era specific factory manual, there is no substitute really, once you get that bike running well you have a all time classic low rider, that many would love to have.

The following users liked this post:
Rounders (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 09:23 AM
Nikiel1010
6th Gear

Yes! Goo Bills! Watertown is about 4 hours north of us. I'll look for that manual. Thank you for the information. I am really hoping to get it running as it is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL bike.

The following users liked this post:
Paintslinger16 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 09:36 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

Yes it is, I have a 1992. Take that course, you actually get a DMV road test waiver, and you get to learn on a provided bike, and it’s fairly intense, if the instructor is good, they do get dropped occasionally my wife took it 25 years ago

Old 09-03-2024, 11:32 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,092 Likes on 7,877 Posts

Never disconnect the battery on a running engine to check the charging system, unless you want to destroy the voltage regulator. The service manual lays out the steps to diagnose the charging system with a volt/ohms meter. Disconnecting the battery only works with a generator charging system, and your FXR has an alternator. At this point, i believe you need to find a competent professional to get your bike back on the road. Your boyfriend is a nice guy, but he's not a Harley mechanic, and right now you need a Harley mechanic.

Old 09-03-2024, 11:35 AM
Nikiel1010
6th Gear

He and I both agree with this statement, Tommy. He said Sunday night, he's done working on it and will find someone to take over. He does know a lot about many things but he's met his limit with this and doesn't want to destroy it or do more damage. Thank you!

The following 2 users liked this post by Nikiel1010:
Paintslinger16 (09-03-2024), Tommy C (09-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil dripping from bottom of bike (FXR)