FXR Models Discuss the FXR Models in here

Oil dripping from bottom of bike (FXR)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 09:59 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
There's no need with an Evo. It just complicates things...
Is there with an TC?
Not sure how it complicates things. On TC is just bolts on to oil pressure switch. The one I got them bolts on rear jug. Pretty simple.

I don't think he needs it. But it might make him feel better. My trucks have them too.

Old 09-02-2024, 10:26 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,036 Likes on 7,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Is there with an TC?
Not sure how it complicates things. On TC is just bolts on to oil pressure switch. The one I got them bolts on rear jug. Pretty simple.

I don't think he needs it. But it might make him feel better. My trucks have them too.
It won't help anything. Folks get freaked out when they look at the gauge when the bike is hot at an idle and they only see 3-4 pounds of oil pressure, and it's perfectly normal for an Evo. You truck is a plain bearing engine, not roller bearing, and need more oil pressure. You're comparing apples to oranges, Rounders. Let's try not to muddy the waters with things that don't matter and help the OP. Is that too much to ask?

Old 09-02-2024, 11:25 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,307 Likes on 6,121 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
(Installing ridercoach hat now...)

Please don't "wait" to take real, professional motorcycle training. The range bikes used are disposable and have been on the ground, often. Let them take the "oopsies" and not your dyna.

I realize you don't want to look awkward in front of other people (that might look awkward, too) but it's better than looking awkward on that dyna, out in the real world. On the motorcycling range, awkwardness is expected. In the real world, not-so-much.

** Removing ridercoach hat now.**
This is some good advice. My Missus and I were at a car show just last night and a lady rolled in on a later model Dyna along with 4 or 5 other bikes. My Missus and I both agreed that she seemed to be afraid of the bike because she was very wobbly while parking and dragged her feet while she rode.

When they left she rolled out dragging her feet then when she had to stop before crossing a RR track she dumped the bike in front of a crowd of people.

I believe had she had proper training she wouldn’t have had any problems.

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 11:31 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 327 Posts

It won't help anything. Folks get freaked out when they look at the gauge when the bike is hot at an idle and they only see 3-4 pounds of oil pressure, and it's perfectly normal for an Evo. You truck is a plain bearing engine, not roller bearing, and need more oil pressure. You're comparing apples to oranges, Rounders. Let's try not to muddy the waters with things that don't matter and help the OP. Is that too much to ask?

Old 09-02-2024, 12:00 PM
rol427
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Nikiel1010
*Welcome to the Forum.
*I agree with Norty Flatz that training on someone else's motorcycle in a parking lot is a good idea, Harley dealers offer classes all season long. They are pricey but the ones near me give you a coupon for accesories if you complete the course.
*The "Evo" (Forum/Harley Davidson Motorcycles/HD Engines/EVO) section has a lot of information on your motorcycle's eccentricities.
*There a are lot of HD fans who feel the Evo's are great motorcycles, myself included.
*Your engine has a breather hose on the right side of the crankcase. I cut mine and inserted a two inch steel tube to reconnect the two ends. If the engine had been sitting for a few days I knew it was going to puke oil so I would disconnect the hose and put a can underneath the crankcase portion to catch the puking oil. Reconnect before riding off, tedious but tidy.

Old 09-02-2024, 12:23 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,413 Likes on 3,620 Posts

There's no need with an Evo. It just complicates things...
@Tommy C You have good knowledge Tommy...

Old 09-02-2024, 12:24 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,413 Likes on 3,620 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBob52
That's ****ing funny... I love it...

The following users liked this post:
CoolBreeze3646 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 07:08 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Again I don't think he needs it's. Though he is worried there is not oil pressure at moment. This might make him feel better.

My comment about my truck was simply reinforcing what I said earlier, that I am an information *****. I like to know,not a reflection on engine designs.

For a third or fourth time, I don't think he needs it. But I like mine for amusement sake only.

Old 09-03-2024, 07:40 AM
Nikiel1010
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you EVERYONE for the advice! It was just as you said, "sumping" from sitting. Started again Sunday night and no oil BUT we have much bigger issues! When the bike started, he took it for a ride down the road and after a short period, it would only stay running with the choke held in. He had to baby it back to the garage after jumping it. Got it back and kept it running with the choke. It seems to be a carb issue which makes sense since it's been sitting for quite a period of time and although we drained all of the bad/old fuel out and put in fresh fuel, I'm thinking it's possible for some of the old gas to have "crystalized". Tried to spray carb cleaner but it didn't help. Most likely needs the carb taken apart, cleaned, etc...BUT while running it, flames started coming out of the back of the tailpipes with very black smoke. We thought it was just fuel burn off but I think with the flames, it's more. When starting it, it didn't seem to crank like it should. While it was running, he tried to disconnect the ground from the battery so he could test the alternator (he learned that years ago). Well.....when he did, smoke started pouring out from the Voltage Regulator (insert sigh). He immediately shut it off. After doing so, we also noticed that there was a small amount of oil coming from the top of one of the twin cams.......assume this means a cracked head gasket? Needless to say, this beauty is turning into more of a headache than we anticipated. I'm also wondering if the spark plugs I got for it were correct. I looked up the part number on Amazon and purchased the ones that had the correct fitment for my bike. Just looking for some continued good advice because we've already put a lot into it. I've been told due to the oil coming from the top of the cam, it's a complete tear down job and that is NOT something we will be interested in doing if it's expensive.

Old 09-03-2024, 07:54 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Cycle electric makes good volt regs, they were / are weak point for Harley.

Can get a drag carb rebuild kit for around $50. Even just taking bowl off and looking may be good, maybe replace jets or clean.

As for other leaks, I would clean with brake clean and see how bad it is if not bad ride some until winter. I am not there to see how bad. Little weeping or gushing. Weeping might be ok for you to practice on until winter

Quick Reply: Oil dripping from bottom of bike (FXR)