Fuel Moto / Jackpot Mufflers USA's leader in EFI tuning and exhaust systems.

PCV Questions - Post Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Lemms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Questions - Post Install

I installed a Power Package from Fuel Moto a few weeks ago for my ’08 RKC. It included a set of V&H slip-ons, the Fuel Moto a/c, and a PCV. Bike sounds great, and runs good.
I just had a couple questions…
1) The bike seems to idle higher now. Don’t have a tach, but just from running it, it seems to idling a bit high. Can this be adjusted?
2) The bikes seems to start a bit harder than before the install. Prior to the install, the bike would pop right off when hitting the ignition. Now, it seems to have to crank over a few more time before starting. Not terrible but I am able to notice it.

Has anyone else ran into similar issues? Can these be fixed by adjusting the PCV settings?
I have not contacted Fuel Moto yet. Figured that I’d post here first, and then contact Jamie.

Thanks…

Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Hello, the idle speed should not be affected and cannot be adjusted with the PC-V as it is written in the ECM calibration which controls the throttle body. The idle speed it a bit high on these models for increased oil pressure at idle. As far as the starting, if it is taking a couple revolution I would press the starter button as soon as you turn on the igntion switch and the bike will start immediately. For additional technical support you can contact us at 877-729-4754

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Lemms
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jamie!
Regarding the idle…Without a tach, I can not be certain that it is actually higher. Must just be my imagination. Could also be the different sound with the new slip-ons… It just seemed to be idling a bit higher to me.
And as for the harder starts…I will keep what you mentioned in mind. I actually had it back-fire on me once when trying to start it this past Thursday. I may have had the ignition on for a while prior to hitting the starter though. Is there a reason for this (having to hit the starter right away after turning the ignition on)?

I also read something regarding high idle…. It had to do with where your idle was when you shut the bike off. It remembers that. You are suppose to be able to reset that by cycling the ignition on and off 5 times I think. When you cycle the ignition on, you can hear something run for a second or two. Not sure what it is. But I can't get that to happen 5 times. It happens the first time and then that is it…
Thoughts???

Thanks…

Last edited by Lemms; 04-06-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
smat45
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fire'n it right up will take care of it...you'll forget once in a while...but then at least you'll know what the deal is...

smat

Old 04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemms
Thanks Jamie!
Regarding the idle…Without a tach, I can not be certain that it is actually higher. Must just be my imagination. Could also be the different sound with the new slip-ons… It just seemed to be idling a bit higher to me.
And as for the harder starts…I will keep what you mentioned in mind. I actually had it back-fire on me once when trying to start it this past Thursday. I may have had the ignition on for a while prior to hitting the starter though. Is there a reason for this (having to hit the starter right away after turning the ignition on)?

I also read something regarding high idle…. It had to do with where your idle was when you shut the bike off. It remembers that. You are suppose to be able to reset that by cycling the ignition on and off 5 times I think. When you cycle the ignition on, you can hear something run for a second or two. Not sure what it is. But I can't get that to happen 5 times. It happens the first time and then that is it…
Thoughts???

Thanks…
That sound you are hearing is the fuel pump. It only pressurizes the first time. If you switch on the ignition, switch the kill switch to run (if you use it) and immediately press start the bike will fire right up. If you wait until the fuel pump stops running it will be a little harder to start the bike. The PC-V on my bike does the same thing as do many others here.

You are correct about cycling the ignition to reset the idle.