Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rear wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:08 PM
jmadiedo
|
4th Gear
Default Rear wheel wobble

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum and hoping to get some help from my fellow riders... i've been experiencing some wobble on the highway when getting up to 70 mph and further. however it seems different from what i've been reading up on. As i ride, the rear wheel seems to wiggle more then wobble (if that make since) and its more annoying than anything. As it wiggles, i just roll with it knowing and hoping the bike tracks straight as I throtle through it. I ride an 05' heritage softail, lowered in the rear 1 - 1.5 in, 16" apes, 2up windshield... just a few things that may contribute to the cause.

My next step, after reading some threads here,is to check tire pressure and make sure thats good but, are there any other words of wisdom. could it be just the wind or due to riding inexperience (2yrs)?

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:21 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Rear wheel wobble

Check your spokes.....

Stand the bike upright and shake it... Watch the wheel rim and spokes...

More than likely your wheel needs trued up as the laces are way out.....

Old 04-08-2007 | 09:26 PM
markdt
Road Captain

wheel truing is a start . check for rear axle torque and alignment. if none of the above could be incorrect rear bearing preload. Has the rear been taken off ? When did it start? ..Mark..

Old 04-09-2007 | 12:57 PM
mrfatty2u
Intermediate

Have you changed the tire or wheel in the rear? Make sure your air pressure is up to spec. Radial tires need more air pressure.

Old 04-15-2007 | 10:11 PM
jmadiedo
|
4th Gear

sorry fellaz i wasnt getting the email notification on the replies... thanks for the advice. the rear has been removed previously when putting on the chrome swing arm in my garage. so step 2 and 3 will be checking the axle torque and alignment, then the spoke truing.

i ll keep ya posted and thank you.

Old 04-16-2007 | 01:58 AM
jmadiedo
|
4th Gear

Ok... One thing i forgot to mention about the problem was when i rode a passenger i wouldnt get the rear wheel wobble.

So Ichecked tire pressure and i was at 25ish front / 25ish rear... scary! i now know to checkit periodically. ilooked up thespecs on the dunlop HD 402's (which i have) and the max pressure is 40lbs however a few posts here recomenddifferent pressure settings for different riding.

Iset it to 32 Front and 38 rear and so far... problem solved! tested it on the FWY at78 mph and smooth sailing with 10-15mph winds today. i think it wouldnt bea bad idea to still have the torque, alignment and truness checked.

Jason M.
Las Vegas, NV

Old 05-09-2010 | 06:57 PM
Treadhead
6th Gear
Exclamation Woble/wiggle just started

'07 Softail Deluxe, just had the 1000 mile service (I know.. was laid up with back injury from a car crash for two years from 2 months after buying it)..

Anyway, immediately after the service I notice a wierd wobble or wiggle, shake or whatever happening at random speeds, seems to alway hit on deceleration. It's not so bad to make me crash or anything but it's bad enough for other people to notice it when behind me. It gets tiring after a while though..

During the service I also had some HD bags installed.

Need to get back to the shop and complain but wanted to check here first for any ideas. Don't want to get bs'd by the shop..