Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Please Help with Rotor Install '98 RKClassic

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please Help with Rotor Install '98 RKClassic

Well I finally had a chance to install new rotors and Lyndall pads last night on my '98 Road King Classic. Everything went fine until I tried to put the brake calipers back on. The rotors are a two piece design. Here's a link to the ones I've got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140083818822
The chrome center piece of the rotor is about twice as thick as the outer stainless piece. Here lies the problem. The inside brake pad-the one that is fixed to the caliper is hitting the center piece of the rotor so I can't get the bottom caliper bolt back in. I compared the Lyndall pad to the stock pad and it is a bit bigger, but I have the same problem with the old stock pad. Any ideas? The only way I see it working is to remove some of the brake pad so I have enough clearance, but that seems like a pretty bad solution.

Also, one of the front wheel spacers is slightly longer than the other. I'm pretty sure I've got the spacers right, but can someone confirm which side the larger spacer is suppose to go on?

Thanks for your help-
Rick

Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Please Help with Rotor Install '98 RKClassic

Wider spacer - usually has a groove around it...

goes on the left (clutch) side.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:48 AM
rgardjr
Cruiser

Well I ended up doing a little filing on the pad to get the clearance I needed to bolt the caliper on. Lyndall pad was definately bigger than the stock pad to begin with. Thought this project would've went a little easier.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like you figured it out...

Did the new set-up help your stopping any?

Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
rgardjr
Cruiser

I really didn't get a chance to ride much after it I got the brakes back on. Around the block a few times. Front brakes worked fine. I wonder how much the increase in stopping performance is due to the fact that the physical size of the pads are bigger than the stock pads and how much is due to the composition of the brake pad itself. That being said, I'd guess that even after I removed some of the new pad it looked like I ended up with about the same pad area as the stock pads. Pretty crappy design job on the two piece rotors. They could've very easily made the center chrome piece a slightly smaller diameter and avoided this problem. Oh well, it's all back together and the brakes are working-now all we need up here is some warmer weather and street sweepers.
Thanks-
Rick