Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

How do you measure for oversize cables (adding apes)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007 | 09:08 PM
bensonjv
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default How do you measure for oversize cables (adding apes)

What is the shop standard for identifying +x" cables for aftermarket handlebars?

I am adding apes to my Springer but I am not sure how long the cables should be over stock. I want to order all the parts at once, so I don't have the bars available to pre-mount and measure. Even if I did I'm not sure how much slack to include.

What I did on my Sporty's was to get the specs on the stock bars and the new bars. I subtracted the difference in height measurements and ordered the closest +x" cables to fit. Is there a better way?

Old 02-26-2007 | 09:55 PM
tatman
6th Gear
Default RE: How do you measure for oversize cables (adding apes)

I did the same as yourself with the math on my first set of apes and it worked for me. On my Standard I used +6" cables for 16" bars on 1" risers, and then went to 18" bars and used +10" cables. Both worked fine. The thing to watch for is how the bars are bent up top, because that can make a difference in your lengths as well. Not all bars have the same bends for a particular height. Also the people you order from will hopefully have some idea of what you need as well if your not sure. Good luck.

Ted
Fort McMurray, Canada

Old 02-27-2007 | 02:18 PM
bensonjv
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Next question for you...

What is the stock top angle for the front brake line for a 2006 FXSTS? Guessing its the same for all FXST 2000-2006. HD catalog has part no's fdor those but no details on top angle. Have to get custom brake line from Drag because of the length. Need to know top angle to order the right one.

Old 02-27-2007 | 02:23 PM
bensonjv
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Answer: 180. But I think I'm going to put 135 on with the apes to get the line to angle toward the bars more. Otherwise the line will hang straight down and get in the way.

Old 02-27-2007 | 09:01 PM
tatman
6th Gear

I used a 35 degree fitting on mine for the same reason. Its a tough call to use that or go straight down, but depend what you want I guess. My brake hose and fittings are Russell.

Old 02-28-2007 | 02:04 PM
bensonjv
|
Outstanding HDF Member

For everyone out there with the same questions, I stumbled around on this a while and have collected what seems to be some good gouge for getting the right cable and line lengths for new bars. Giving credit where credit is due, I found the link in one of thebestofindica's posts.

Sure the best method is to fit the bars to the bike and measure. But if you are like me and others, you want all your parts at once so you can install right away. You don't want to wait for bars to come, measure, and then have to order and wait for lines and cables to arrive. If so, try this:

From the web link:
When buying new bars, a rough formula to follow for cable/line lengths is to measure the increased height + 1/2 the increased pullback that the new bars will give you. This amount will be very close to how much additional cable and brake line that you may need.

Got it. But I need the stock bar dimensions to do that math. What are the dimensions of the stock bars on my bike? Well, sometimes you can get lucky and find them in the HD catalog or you might be able to get the parts guy to pull it up in the computer. But it’s hit or miss whether this will get you the data you need. Enter the link provided by thebestofindica.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...ckBarsOne.html Voila. Stock bar dimensions for most. Do a little math and you have the 80-90% solution for cable and line lengths.

I know many people struggle with the same dilemma of cable and brake line lengths when installing new bars. Hope this helps.

PS: Shouldn't there be data like this as a sticky post in this section or maybe a good writeup posted in the DIY section, near the brake bleeding help?