Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

lowering suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Bobby_Lee
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering suspension

I am needing my 2013 Ultra Classic lowered. I had a 1" lowering kit put on at the dealer when I bought the bike. As it turns out, that was not enough. I am buying a 1"-3" lowering kit from the internet. It should be in this weekend. I was wondering if putting a 3" lowering kit on the rear does any harm to the handling or control of the bike. If that's not enough I will have to also put in a 1" lowering kit put in the front.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 PM
silvernblack
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Bobby_Lee
I am needing my 2013 Ultra Classic lowered. I had a 1" lowering kit put on at the dealer when I bought the bike. As it turns out, that was not enough. I am buying a 1"-3" lowering kit from the internet. It should be in this weekend. I was wondering if putting a 3" lowering kit on the rear does any harm to the handling or control of the bike. If that's not enough I will have to also put in a 1" lowering kit put in the front.
I have n 03 flstci with a 2" front and rear lowering kit. I say it handles a little better due to lower center of gravity. I have dragged the pipes though. My seat is right around 24 1/2" from the ground.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Thrasher_SFFS
Stage III

Originally Posted by Bobby_Lee
It absolutely will change the handling characteristics of the bike. And yes, you should lower the front as well about the same amount as the rear to maintain the stock geometry. Lowering the front end will also help you achieve your goal faster than just lowering the rear.

That all being said, as much as you're lowering it, expect to be grinding hard parts when you lay it over in the curves. No biggie, just know that it's going to happen. I scrape all the time and particularly enjoy the shower of sparks at night.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Sbell1
Cruiser

I would lower the front at the same time too. Bike geometry has a lot to do with handling.

Not to mention looking cool.