Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

2002 hugger forks, change out with....??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013 | 01:55 AM
nick91l
|
Intermediate
Default 2002 hugger forks, change out with....??

Hi, im new to the forum, but i have my first tech question, I have a 2002 883 hugger. i love the bike and would one day like to give the motor a work around to make it a little quicker, probably up to 1200, but first it needs to ride better. O there than what i already know, it being a girls bike, its going to be low, but i have drag bars on the bike, but i seem cramped up, is it possible to get larger forks from a different bike? fitment issues? and maybe extend the forward controls a little? i know i should probably just get a new bike but its my first one and i, kinda in love with it. lol. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-02-2013 | 11:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Hi Nick and welcome to HDF from the UK. The Hugger was the lowest model of Sportster, undeniably aimed at the shorter or more petite owner!

You mention several things:
  • feeling cramped up and having drag bars,
  • forward controls,
  • it needs to ride better,
  • larger forks?
We'll leave the engine for now, but call in the Sportster section to read up more on that. Visiting each of the above:

1) Change the bars, if you are leaning forward and down to get to them. That may remove the feeling you need forward controls. Call on a dealer to look at the Sportsters there, to get an idea of what bars will give a more comfortable riding position. Leave the forwards for now.
2) Again, look in on the Sportster section. Many riders use and like the air shocks used on touring Harleys, which can be bought quite cheaply and give improved ride at the rear. They are available in 12" and 13" lengths.
3) Check your forks for sag! This is how to do it: (a) jack the front of the bike enough to just lift the front wheel off the ground, so the forks are fully extended, then measure from the bottom tree to the top of the fork slider. (b) Now put the bike back on the ground and sit on it. You will need an assistant to measure from the bottom tree to the top of the slider, while you sit there, pretending to be riding! Keep all your weight on the seat. (c) Finally apply the front brake and pump the forks enthusiastically, to fully compress them. If they leave a slight ring of dirt around the forks that is helpful, otherwise tie a piece of string, or a zip-tie round the chrome tube, so it stays at the highest point the slider gets to. Measure from the bottom tree again, to the string/zip tie. From these dimensions we can work out the total length of travel available from full extension of the forks, plus how much is left of that when you are sitting on the bike. Let us know the results and we can look into the forks further!

Old 06-03-2013 | 12:01 AM
nick91l
|
Intermediate

WOW! Thank you so much for the info! one quick question then BAM! i really appreciate it and ill be getting on that as soon as possible. Your instructions were well explained thanks again man!

Old 06-03-2013 | 04:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member

My pleasure - I've already been down the same route with my SuperLow, which is now a Super-not-so-Low!

Old 06-03-2013 | 04:11 AM
nick91l
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
My pleasure - I've already been down the same route with my SuperLow, which is now a Super-not-so-Low!
Sounds good! I kinda like the drag bars for looks anyway that is. So if I can get away with keeping them I will. I'm gonna do the front fork check, then I'm going to look for those rear shocks for sure!