Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Suspension Differences between Models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005 | 11:30 PM
howartthou
|
Cruiser
Default Suspension Differences between Models?

Would anyome care to share their knowledge on the differences, pros and cons, between the different types of suspension found in the HD model range, i.e.:

Sportster
DynaGlide
Softail
VRSC
Touring

Things like ride smoothness, looks, feel, options could be discussed.

Questions I have, for example:

1. The Softail has the hidden horizontal rear shockers which look good because you cannot see them giving you a better look of the rear wheel i.e. the hardtail look, but there has to be something wrong with them because they are not in the most natural orientation for what they are meant to do?

2. Why doesn't the softail have an air shocker like the Road King?

Old 01-04-2005 | 12:19 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Default RE: Suspension Differences between Models?

howartthou,

I am not an expert but i own a deuce softail. The rear suspension is really comfertable for me, the front shocks are a little soft. My brother in law owns a dyna wide glide and it rides smoother in the rear. The rear shocks on a softail work really well in the way they are attached to the swing arm. It gives you alot more of a comfertable ride than you think. The road king is more of a cadillac of harleys without the fairings, radios, etc of a touring. I think the road king would be one of the better rides as far as smoothness goes but people like me like to feel the road and drive a little aggressive sometimes and like a suspension that allows you to do that. The sportsters have the most aggressive suspensions as far as performance goes but lack the smoothness of other bikes. You will feel every bump in the road on a sportster. It all depends on the type of riding you do and the comfort level that you want. I like a smooth ride, looks of a softail, and if i want to be aggressive the suspension of my bike lets me do it. If i was into more comfert and didnt mind the looks of a dyna i would go there. If i wanted comfert and wasnt worried about aggresiveness i would do a road glide. If i wanted long hauls i would do touring.etc.etc.
I have never been on a vrod so i have no idea how they ride but i would think they would be pretty aggresive too.

Hope this helps,
David

Old 01-04-2005 | 05:42 AM
howartthou
|
Cruiser

David

Thanks for the insight, it all makes sense. I guess at the end of the day, they are all nice bikes with their niches - Harleys have a great range to choose from so finding one to suit your needs although confusing at first, is half the fun, and shows the flexibility of the range.

I can't wait to get my Heritage...

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:09 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

I can't wait to get my Heritage...
Howartthou, do you have a real name? [8D]

I'm Rick (it can get confusing) anyhow, I can only imagine the anticipation not only you but the others have waiting on your bike. Before I got mine, that's about all I had on my mind. I had wanted one for a long time.
I had ideas of what I wanted to do and fully expected to make any and all necessary repairs myself.
It's truly a good feeling to get what you want. And I've found, the good feelings don't go away.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-04-2005 | 11:47 AM
howartthou
|
Cruiser

Rick, my name is Taner (I prefer it pronounced as Tanner, not that we can actually speak and listen on a forum [&:]).

Yes, I am really excited about getting my Harley and I have wanted a cruiser/tourer since I was a teenager...I honestly don't know why I waited so long. I tend to blame my "preoccupation" with work when it comes to things like this...

I don't know that I want to do bike mechanics myself as I am happy to let the professionals do it. But I would at least like to become proficient at basic maintenance and fault diagnosis i.e. I want to know what is going on but not necessarliy strip the engine. But who knows how far I will get with it? I also want to know how to do basic mods e.g. changing the handlebars...

I really am looking forward to that good feeling and a good nights sleep too when I finally get my dream machine. I have friends I work with and all they do is look forward to weekends and every other opportunity they get to ride their Harleys...no thats how I want to be .