Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

fork oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 03:38 PM
tjjung
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork oil

i want to change the fork oil in my 96 ultra classic. I have had the bike since 6,000 miles and it has 32,000 now. I have the manual which walks you thru removing parts of the fairing, opening the top of the forks, draining then refilling from the top. Has anyone tried replacing the fluid thru the drain hole with a hand pump and small hose? Seems like that would work and save alot of time.
Tim
Houston

Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fork oil

There's two problems with that thought:

1. What about the air above the oil level? You'll be placing it under pressure. Off the top of my head, I'd say about 4 atmospheres.

2. When you remove the filler device and try to replace the plug, you'll lose some oil. You won't lose the same amountfrom each leg. And since the oil is under pressure, you'de lose quite a bit.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: tjjung

i want to change the fork oil in my 96 ultra classic. I have had the bike since 6,000 miles and it has 32,000 now. I have the manual which walks you thru removing parts of the fairing, opening the top of the forks, draining then refilling from the top. Has anyone tried replacing the fluid thru the drain hole with a hand pump and small hose? Seems like that would work and save alot of time.
Tim
Houston
Go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy a venturi vacuum pump (#3952-6VGA), now on sale for $9. It connects to your air compressor to provide a useful vacuum, which you should regulate to around 40 lbs, or just enough to pull the fluid from your recepticle quickly enough without using too much suction. Then go to the manual and find the fork section, which describes how to use it to install the fluid. You can do both forks in 15 min. after you master the technique, and you should do it every 10k miles (according to the maintenance schedule). You'll need some tubing, both to fit in the drain hole recess and the air valve for the front forks. I used an old bicycle pump connector and adapted it to the pump. It'll take a bit of rigging, but once done it will be a simple chore in the future. Heed the manual's warnings about leaving the vacuum in place longer than is necessary.

I wish the forks on my new SG were that easy.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:40 AM
JBA111
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fixmyhog videos covers the fork oil change. the system these guys discribe might work but don/t forget to take the air valve out of the valve stem. so there is NO air presure in the system while you are draining or filling they system.
I am going to try and find me a hand vacume pump.