Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

front fork cartridge change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default front fork cartridge change

Is it a hassle to remove the front fork cartridge and convert it to a standard set up?

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: front fork cartridge change

I don't know which bikes have cartridge and which have damper style... but from everything i have read on various forums, damper style pretty much sucks compared to cartridge... so I have to ask why? And, are you sure you have cartridge?

Personally, on my Wide Glide, one of my winter projects is to install cartridge emulators to get some improvment on the damper. The installation procedure includes pulling the damper tube, opening the existing holes, and adding more holes.. so I will effectivly be eliminating the dampers function. Once that is done I am putting Race Tech's Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators in.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes,I do have a cartridge in the left leg.It has to be taken apart to change the oil. Also needs to be taken to the dealer because of special tool to take it apart.So I took mine off and changed the oil through the drain hole.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM
flt04lee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IAM A HARLEY MECHANIC AND I DONT EVEN WANT TO BUY THE TOOL TO DO MY BIKE. SO EVERYTIME I NEED TO CHANGE THE FORK OIL I HAVE TO BRING THE FORK IN??I WAS GOING TO DO THE SAME THING.JUST BUY A ROADKING LEFT TUBE ASSY JUST IN WHAT YOU WILL PAY FOR THE DEALER TO DO FORK OIL FOR YOU 2 TIMES YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT A NEW SLIDER..NOW YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL FOR THE REST OF THE TIME YOU OWN THE BIKE....I TEST RIDE ALL KINDS OF BIKES EVERYDAY AND BELIVE IT OR NOT I THINK THE NON CARTRIDGE FRONT END IS A MUCH BETTER RIDE..WARNING DONT JUST POUR FORK OIL IN THE TUBE FROM TH BOTTOM.THE TUBE HAS TO COME APART AND DONE RIGHT.YOU HAVE TO CHARGE THAT DAMPENER WITH FLUID..GOOD LUCK.CJ

Old 01-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thrillseeker, I read about your planned project to install Race Tech Cartridge Emulators. I have an '06 Street Bob and have sent my forks out to Race Tech to do the conversion to progressive springs and cartridge emulators. They don't have a kit for the 49 mm forks, yet, but they're going to work something up for my weight requirements- about 850 lbs. solo on the Bob and 1070 2 up with gear. I'm also putting Progressive 440 shocks on the rear. I hope to get a much better sport ride for solo riding and kill the brake dive and handling issues when the bike is fully loaded.
I'd be really interested in hearing your experience with the cartidge emulators and how the ride feels to you when you get it done. What are riding? Jay