Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rubbing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
sledder69
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing brake pads

I'm not sure what happened or what I did wrong but I replaced the front brake pads on my 01 Road King and ever since then the pads rub. I have removed and reinstalled them even removed a little brake fluid. Does anyone have any advise for me.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you clean the pistons good? I mean REAL good?

I have dual calipers on front of my FXDP & brakes were dragging like crazy. Pistons & pads would not retract. So swapped out the pads & used old pads to force pistons back into calipers. But first, used Lysol Spray Cleaner (basically denatured alcohol - with a hint of springtime freshness ), a tooth brush and shoe string to clean up the exposed part of the pistons & pad spring in back of caliper. Then pushed pistons back into caliper flush to insert 4 new pads & install calipers on discs. That solved the dragging pad issue for me. If there's crap left on the pistons when you install new pads, either the pistons will resist retracting back into the calipers or the seals will be damaged when they do. Or both.

Also, my experience has been the pad pins that go through & retain the pads in the calipers must be removed & buffed or pads may not move smoothly. I put a very light coating of synthetic Valvoline caliper grease on my pins after buffing to resist corrosion and ease movement of pads, but I don't think the MOCO recommends that. Seems to work for me.

Good luck!