Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

New air shocks bottoming out with 1 hand

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New air shocks bottoming out with 1 hand

I just bought 2 brand new HD Street glide 12" air shocks. Put them on my Dyna, pumped up to 30 psi and can bottom them out with 1 hand on the rear of bike, raised to 40 psi same result, raised to max limit of 50 and can still bottom them out with 1 hand pushing down on the seat. I even removed the tee and tubing and added individual Schrader valves but no difference. On my Ultra anything above 25psi is like a rock, the shocks have no give. But these are brand new from Harley, I don't know what I'm missing, I would think that with that much pressure in air bladder the shocks should be almost solid. I even pulled the valve, turned up the shocks a little and seen a few drops of oil run out, just to make sure there was oil in them. Is there something else I should be doing to the shock before installing?? Open for suggestions
Tnx

Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Doesn't make any sense! If they compress that easily you can probably compress one of them in your bare hands? Go back to your supplying dealer.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DocDyna
I just bought 2 brand new HD Street glide 12" air shocks. Put them on my Dyna, pumped up to 30 psi and can bottom them out with 1 hand on the rear of bike, raised to 40 psi same result, raised to max limit of 50 and can still bottom them out with 1 hand pushing down on the seat. I even removed the tee and tubing and added individual Schrader valves but no difference. On my Ultra anything above 25psi is like a rock, the shocks have no give. But these are brand new from Harley, I don't know what I'm missing, I would think that with that much pressure in air bladder the shocks should be almost solid. I even pulled the valve, turned up the shocks a little and seen a few drops of oil run out, just to make sure there was oil in them. Is there something else I should be doing to the shock before installing?? Open for suggestions
Tnx
What air valve (Schrader valves?) and what bladder? There is a white plastic type material that, when you add air pressure into the system, the white cup pushes down on the outer spring increasing spring pre-load only. The small diameter damper has a piston inside of the tube/body and 4 small holes in the end of the sealed damper body. When the shock is extended at rest there is little shock oil in the damper body because the piston is at the bottom of the stroke/end of the damper body. When you go over an up type bump the piston inside of the tube sucks the oil into the tube/damper body through the 4 holes and the shock gets shorter/compresses. When the shock extends again (because the two springs on each side push the whole bike back up again) the oil is expelled through the 4 holes (AKA compression stroke).

This damper slows the movement by offering resistance to change because the piston is being moved by the weight of the bike or pushed by the springs and will draw in or expel out a limited (through the small holes) amount of oil in comparison to the volume of oil that the piston could move if it were not for the sealed unit and limited by the 4 small holes. This is how the OEM air shock functions. The compressed air provides spring pre-load only. There is no air bladder or valving except for the 4 small holes at the bottom of the sealed damper body. These OEM air shocks are a great option when compared to a hardtail and are worth the $12+ HD buys them for.

You may not draw your own conclusions on what is wrong with your $400 OEM HD air shocks.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Thanks for function description

FastHarley, Thanks for the descriptive narative regarding the build and function of the HD air shock. I have not dis-assembled one so was just thinking there had to be a bladder or something that handled the pre-loading. Bottom line is that " They did not work right".
As far as me not being able to "draw my conclusion about shock function" comment. Actually I can draw any conclusion I want to. Be it right or wrong. Like I said, and after taking to HD tech support they also said something was wrong with them. They gave me a RMA and full refund, plus I don't know where you buy shocks but I paid about 1/2 what you say they cost, maybe your price is full suggested retail.
I just switched back to my Progressive's increased the pre-load a couple of clicks and rode off into the sunset.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DocDyna
FastHarley, Thanks for the descriptive narative regarding the build and function of the HD air shock. I have not dis-assembled one so was just thinking there had to be a bladder or something that handled the pre-loading. Bottom line is that " They did not work right".
As far as me not being able to "draw my conclusion about shock function" comment. Actually I can draw any conclusion I want to. Be it right or wrong. Like I said, and after taking to HD tech support they also said something was wrong with them. They gave me a RMA and full refund, plus I don't know where you buy shocks but I paid about 1/2 what you say they cost, maybe your price is full suggested retail.
I just switched back to my Progressive's increased the pre-load a couple of clicks and rode off into the sunset.
I spend some time trying to give you a correct answer to what is the solution to your problem. I tried to help you in what little spare time I have to give you the right answers so you could not be BS'ed by those who do not know....

Last edited by FastHarley; 05-31-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

C'mon chaps, lighten up!

Doc, FastHarley custom builds probably the best shocks out there for our Harleys. He don't buy no air shocks! Know your enemy before you start shootin'.....

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Fast Harley..... I Appoligize and stand corrected

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I spend some time trying to give you a correct answer to what is the solution to your problem and I get a condescending comments from you. I tried to help you in what little spare time I have to give you the right answers so you could not be BS'ed by those who do not know. If you did not want answers, why do you ask? I will never answer another post by you. Ya, you are real smart, excelent choice to ride off into the sunset with. Now for another smart *** comment from you, can not wait.
As the title says, I do appoligize for my dumb comment, I was un-aware of your expert experiance and knowledge. I on the other hand am just a guy who built his first HD custom trike in 1978 (Showed at the RAT'S HOLE Show in Daytona and won the most unusual class 2 yrs in a row and made the cover of CHOPPER Magazine). Been through a lot of up and down times, even retired from bikes for several years. Now back at it again and just finished my 3rd trike and designing the next one right now. Currently buying up parts for it. Plus doing some additional changes to the current Eagle trike
Again I am sorry for my un-called-for comments.

Actually I would like to work with you some on a set of custom air shocks that would allow a 3-4 inch height adjustment, if such a thing is possible. I can build a cant-a-levered suspension that could turn 3-4 of travel into a 6-8 inch range. Next project.. Street Glide Trike with 23" front wheel, 12 degree rake, rearend extended 11", custom PM wheels, 108"- 110hp power-plant, plus the heigth adjustable suspension for the ride and/or the slammed look. Working out the painting right now, we are trying to do the 3-D Holographic painting. If we can make that work , the scheme will be a waving flag streatching from fairing to rearend that appears to be moving. I figure that if they can make a post-card be holographic, surely I can make a bike the same.
I hope you accept my humble appoligy !

On another note: I see you live in Davie, Where abouts is that in Fl.? I have a house on Lake Panasoffkee near Bushnell, and also on Lake Okeechobee a fishing camp. I am in Fl. at least 3-4 times a year. If you could forgive an old man, maybe I could stop by for a hand-shake.

Last edited by DocDyna; 05-31-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sounds like you've blown up the new shocks.

My best guess is you over filled the shocks using a compressor to fill them instead of a small hand pump device. Harley's small pump, just for shocks, is the best because it has a leak proof connection and a precise gauge.

To compare I set my rear shocks at 14 pounds for a two up smooth ride. 9 pounds they bottom out, and 16 they ride too hard. Also maximum on my ride is 20 pounds.

The Harley shocks I have ran $240 for a set of 11", giving me a 1 inch drop, just enough to stand flat foot while on the bike.

The bike came used with a drop block that offset the shock travel to allow for a 1 inch drop. That device had caused one mount to break off the frame mount and both were blown. The blown bags proceeded to damage the inner area of both of my saddlebags. Found this out on the first two up ride with the wife. Me, alone on the bike, it rode OK.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 06-01-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default No compressor

Only used my HD shock pump from my Ultra. There had to be a problem with the shocks, all mute point now since they now have them back and refunded my money