Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Need Handle Bar help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Iceman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Handle Bar help

Ok guys, i am almost 100% sure i am going to be changing out the handle bars on the RKC. I went from stock bars to road king high bars, and i just want to go a bit higher. problem is, im not sure how much higher. i would like my hands to be about shoulder level when i ride. i don't want to go super high though, either. i was thinking maybe 16' apes would do it, or is that too much? short of trying out different bars, how can i know what will work for me?
also, what do i need to get along with the bars? throttle/idle cables, wires, brake line, anything else? thanks for the help in advance guys!!

Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Default RE: Need Handle Bar help

what I did was to go to the dealer and pick out the ones I thought I wanted ans asked the parts guys if I could take them out to my bike to see hoe they looked I went through 4 or 5 different sets before I found the ones I got sit on the bike in the riding position you want to be in and see if they fit I went from the stock flat bars to 8 inch apes to 10 inchers to 12's before I actually asked to take them out to my bike now I have 16's and this time I put the wires inside

Old 08-01-2005, 12:47 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Check out this post in the DIY forums for some help https://www.hdforums.com/m_80312/tm.htm

Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Iceman
Tourer

thanks for the link. i wish i could go to the dealer and try all of the different ones, but because of cost, that's not an option. they were going to charge 4 hrs (at $65 an hour) labor to put on the bars i have now, a job i did in less than one hour. bear in mind that i had never worked on any harley davidson prior to this.

to the ones who have done this, how much money did you spend?

Old 08-01-2005, 09:38 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

You don't have to have the bars installed to check them out at the dealer. Just have someone help you hold them in position. You can get close enough this way to tell if a certain bar will work. Use the method in the DIY forum to determine what you need.

As far as putting them on, it's not a problem, especially if you don't go to radical and have to have cables, wiring etc.

As far as money, bars run from about 40.00 to over 100.00 depending on what you get. If you have to change cables, wiring or brake lines it will be more.

I have changed bars on several bikes, including a Roadking, and have always found a suitable bar that did not require any cable or wiring changes.

I have not always had the "Sexiest" bars out there, but they have always been comfortable. When it comes to bars, comfort is more important to me than looks.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned

thank you