Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Cutting fork springs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
hogwyld79
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting fork springs??

Has anyone ever cut the fork springs on their scooter? I know with a car you can cut however many ring off and the springs will still function properly. I am looking at lowering the front end of my ride, but I am also trying to do it without the least amount of purchased parts. I have lowered the rear 1 1/2 by removing the rear shocks and installing metal rods. I would like to lower the front the same amount. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Old 01-01-2007, 09:33 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cutting fork springs??

No, it won't work. You'll just make them a little softer, but won't lower the bike. Loosen up the triple tree clamps and move the fork tubes up. Depending on your risers, you can get about 1" lower that way.

If you want more, you'll have to disassemble the forks completly, and place a spacer deep inside, under the damper tube.

Of course, if you shorten it, you will lose some suspension travel. For the first inch or so, that's usually not an issue. But more than that and you'll have to add stiffer springs to compensate.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogwyld79

Has anyone ever cut the fork springs on their scooter? I know with a car you can cut however many ring off and the springs will still function properly. I am looking at lowering the front end of my ride, but I am also trying to do it without the least amount of purchased parts. I have lowered the rear 1 1/2 by removing the rear shocks and installing metal rods. I would like to lower the front the same amount. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
i did it on my shovel about 10 years ago. i took off about 1 inch. i put them back in with the cut end up so the fork caps were on the cut end. it lowered it about an inch. never had a problem with it but it handles different. i don't know about moving the fork tubes on wide front ends. i don't think it's possible but i don't know that. on narrow glides the top of the tubes are tapered and fit into the triple trees that are also tapered. it's not possible to move the tubes up in the trees.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

The safest way to do this will also cost you some money. Buy progressively wound springs. They will be shorter than your stock springs and come with pcv spacers that you can cut down to bring the height of your front end to where you want it. Being progressively wound, they wont bottom out and you will retain good handling.....................BG

Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 PM
hogwyld79
Advanced

My forks won't move any higher than what they are. There fork plug keeps it from going any higher. I dropped the back an 1 1/2" so I am going to buy the lowering kit for the front. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
hdfatboy54
Advanced

Progressive makes a lowering kit for around $100. You can get a good deal on this kit at Motorcycle accessory warehouse. You can do this on line or give them a call. They have the best price i have found. I have used a few of the progressive springs and I like em'

Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I'll sell you my Progressive springs... regular springs not the lowering kit. As said, they are shorter and require a spacer.

I won't have them off my bike until March/April though

Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
hogwyld79
Advanced

Thrillseeker, thanks for the offer, but I am going to go with the progressive kit. For $70 you can't beat the price.

HDFatboy54, thanks for the website.