Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front End Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 PM
pmccone5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Replacement

I need some help. I have a 2006 Thunder Mountain Custom 240 Baditude. I know, I know. It's not a "real" Harley blah, blah, blah... Anyway, I love this bike and it runs like a bat outta hell. Here's what I need help with:

I want to replace the front end with a springer. Step 1 of a multi-step transformation to the style of bike I'm shooting for. My problem is I don't know the correct way to determine what size I need. Do I need stock? Do I need "X" inches over or under? Where do I measure my current front end to determine what I need? I took some measurements, first from the top of the upper tree to the axle and it was 32". Then another from the bottom of the top tree and it was 30.5". Then a third from the bottom of the bottom tree and got 22". Which freakin' measurement or measurements do I need and how do I use it/them to determine what springer I need to get?

I have a 21" wheel out front at a 35 degree rake. I don't want to change the way she handles or do anything to make it unsafe. Oh, did I mention that I don't want to have to mortgage my house either. DNA is out of the question. I've done enough research and talked to enough people to not want to go that route. I would love to get my hands on a sweet Paughco front end (who wouldn't) but those things are outta my price range. I did find a couple on eBay at half the price of what they are brand new but I'm back to my original problem of "are they the right ones for my bike?"

Anybody out there that can get me going in the right direction?

Here's where I'm going with the bike overall:
1. Springer Front End
2. Lose the front fender.
3. 12" to 13" apes (1 1/4") with internal wiring
4. Spring seat (which will require some fab work to cover the battery and other electrical crap.)
5. Chop about 8" to 10" off the back fender.
6. Dump the current gas tank with the big, clunky HD console and get a smaller, bobber style tank and Frisco mount it on top of the backbone.
7. LED lights all the way around.
8. Who knows what else...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Let's stick with the forks for now! If you fancy Paughco, you could email or phone them for advice, to fit your bike. Don't have to tell them you can't afford to buy them yet.....