Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Jiffy Stand Stability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:25 AM
MOking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Stand Stability?

May be a dumb question, but it seems to me that the jiffy stand on my 05 Road King is not the most stable. Just traded up from a VStar 1100. My wife had a heart attack when she sat on the passenger seat before I was on the bike. Whole bike seemed to have moved on her.

When I look at the stand, it appears to just be perpendicular to the bike and allows the bike to move a good bit with weight on it. Is this normal/trustworthy? Is there an adjustment that can be or an upgraded jiffy that could be installed.

I'd hate like hell to drop a 2 week old bike.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:15 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Stability?

I don't think it at's a great idea to sit on the bike while it is on the stand. I've never heard of one breaking , but look at the size/weight of the bike, then the size of the stand and add the additional weight of a person sitting on it.JMHO

Old 07-23-2005, 10:53 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I agree with TC, I think that all the jiffy stand was designed to do was hold the bike up when not in use not to be used as support while one or more people want to sit on the bike with their feet off of the ground. The stand will move a little, but I think that is normal. I understand about not wanting to tip over your new bike, I don't want to either.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:16 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The kickstand sags or seems to adjust the more weight you put on it. It's spring operated? I have sat on my bike with the kick stand down and feet and the pegs without problems (meaning it didn't tip over). I'm not sure I would do that on the passenger seat though. Either way I think you're tempting fate when you're hoping around your bike with only the kickstand down.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:46 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

The stand has a little locking mechanism on it. The bike will move a little bit while on the stand, but the stand won't fold up with weight on it.

I'm with everyone else, I use it for the weight of the bike only. When Mama get's on, it's after I have the bike off the stand...I usually have her get off first before putting it back on the stand.

If you're not used to the action of these kick stands, it can be a little unnerving at first.

Mac

Old 07-23-2005, 09:12 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my bike, the service guy stood in front of the bike, grabbed the handle bars and started rocking the bike forward and back to show me that the "jiffy stand" locks and will not fold up if the bike moves. Needless to say I almost $hit myself when he first started to move the bike, I reached out to save it (like I really could have)!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:55 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure it is the correct thing to do but I can't count the times I've watched the lady get on the bike and sit waiting on the rider to mount up. Harleys and all other types of tourers. Always makes me nervous but never saw anyone have a problem doing it.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi,

I guess my question is, why risk it? I'd recommend doin' it the way pilot is doing it, get on first and last, let the wife get on after you and get off before you, no pun intended[&:]

joe

Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: traveler

Hi,

llet the wife get on after you and get off before you, no pun intended[&:]

joe
[sm=funnypostabove.gif] Sure there wasn't!

Mac

Old 07-23-2005, 11:02 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

The kick stand on the Sloptails and Garbage Barges is the best designed stand offered on a factory bike. Once the weight of the bike is on it, it locks and the bike can't roll off it, unlike the Sporty, some Super Glides, and the many metric bikes. I've never seen one break, and have never worried about it while having the bike, me, THE MAMA, and loaded out for a trip, all on the stand. I've heated them up cherry red, bent 'em to make 'em work on a lowered bike, bent 'em the other way to work on a bike with extended forks, and they still act like new.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Stability?